Aggressive Male Siamese Fighting Fish?

sausage dog

Reaction score
I have a tank with one male and one female, hoping that they will make some little Siamese Fighting Fish.

Only problem is, the male keeps chasing the female around the tank with his gills out. I was wondering whether this is part of the mating ritual, or whether I need to seperate them to stop them destroying each other?

I have also noticed that the male has made what I think is a bubble nest, but I am not sure. Right now it looks like a load of washing up soap bubbles on the surface.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

i have red that you should only place a female in a tank when she is full of eggs as the male will just keep pushing her away.
the best way to breed them is let them have a seperate tank feed the male and female with live foods to condition them. and when the female is full of eggs place her in the tank with the male but seperate them with either a divider or breeding trap. turn down the filter flow and allow the male to build his bubble nest and then place the female in the tank with him he should hopefully not chase her away if he does seem to be chasing her away then she is not ready to breed yet.
(be warned they do seem to have an aggrassive breeding behaviour so the male could have damaged fins after the breeding session)

i have red that you should only place a female in a tank when she is full of eggs as the male will just keep pushing her away.
the best way to breed them is let them have a seperate tank feed the male and female with live foods to condition them. and when the female is full of eggs place her in the tank with the male but seperate them with either a divider or breeding trap. turn down the filter flow and allow the male to build his bubble nest and then place the female in the tank with him he should hopefully not chase her away if he does seem to be chasing her away then she is not ready to breed yet.
(be warned they do seem to have an aggrassive breeding behaviour so the male could have damaged fins after the breeding session)

Ok, I will get a tank divider ASAP.

I also need to ask a dumb question: how can I tell that the female is full of eggs?

before you run out and breed your bettas you should check the pinned topic on it in the betta section and talk to some of the folks there who have done it. Betta fry are very delicate and there are certain procedures you have to take to ensure their survival.

Also, there is a possibility that you will end up with 250-500 babies. It isn't a constant, but happens enough to be a real concern. Will you have enough room to house that many babies who may have to be seperated (males)? Just something to think about :)

If you are really interested, I suggest you try the betta forum, but please don't breed these particular fish until you do more research :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back