Aggressive Black Widow Tetras

neocyber_16

Reaction score
i added two dwarf gouramis and the five black skirt tetras seem to be fin nipping them is this common and how long does it last?

How big is the tank?

I have black skirt tetras with honey dwarf gouramis with other fish in a community tank and they get along fairly well. I have a 4ft tank, so there's lots of swimming room and I have lots of plants and rocks, so there's lots of places for the to hide from each other. I've even found that the male gouramis chase the black skirt tetras which are twice as big.

Maybe it's a territorial thing. If the black skirt tetra's were there first, then by adding the gourami's the tetra might be trying to protect their territory.

I do find in my tank that the black skirts seem to stay in the same area all the time, only venturing out for feeding.

i have a 10 gallon tank with fake plants. I did put the black skirts first, so it probably is a territorial thing. I also noticed though the black skirts go attack or chase each other as well.

Well the 10 Gallon(37L) tank is quite small I'd say. My Black skirts (aka black widows) are now about 5cm long, so they can get quite big. Unfortunately, I'd say that it would continue until the gouramis are worn out.

You can minimise the inpact of introducing the new gourami's by changing the scenery of the tank. Move your current plants around and get more, even get some rocks or logs. This way the black skirts will think they have moved into a new area and will be too busy discovering to bother the gouramis (hopefully).

I'm crossing my fingers for you. Gourami's are a great fish to have.

Thanks. I've haven't mentioned it yet but the two dwarf gouramis are actually two neon blue dwarf gouramis. I have a new problem now, one of them doesn't want to eat all it does is goes around the glass and just travel along it and doesn't bother going anywhere else. The other on the other hand does it thankfully. I think the fin nipping has reduced but i will have to observe their behaviour too be more accurate. If worst comes to worst than i'll quickly get a cheap 10 gal and a sponge filter and move the gouramis there. I too am crossing my fingers and with hopes these fish can learn to co-exsist. I must admit dwarf gouramis are a sight to see.

here is my newb tank
DSC00712a.JPG

1st neon blue dwarf gourami
DSC00713a.JPG

2nd neon blue dwarf gourami
DSC00714a.JPG

Beauty mate!

I just bought a new tank for my gourami's too. They've been nesting in the community tank for a few months, but the babies never lasted long, so I though I'd given them a go in their own private love shack! :hey:

It was quite amusing, as soon as they got into the new tank, the female started prancing about trying to get the males attention. He was too busy exploring. :/

My fish are still fairly stressed and won't eat that much, how do i help them become unstressed? As you can see from these pictures my tank isn't actually "planted densly" so what can i do to make them feel more comfortable and safe? Because due to the black skirts which keep chasing them and nipping them.

I think the only way is to give them more hiding spots. Places where they can flee from danger.

In my new gourami breeding centre (22L tank about 30cm across), I have 2 big plants that probably take up about 20% of the room. They loved it soo much that it only took 1 day for the couple to settle in and lay their eggs.

Most reactions

Back