Aggresive Pearl Gourami

Birdie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've got 3 pearls in a rio180. it's quite heavily planted (including plenty of floating stuff), with lots of bogwood and caves. I *think* the Pearls are 1 male, 2 female - that's certainly what I asked for :lol:.

My problem is that the male is really very aggressive towards the females. I say females - I am 75% sure they are female, having driven myself boss-eyed looking at pictures on the net, and comparing them to my fish ;lol: . But I could be wrong. They have a tinge of red on the edge of the anal fin - but definitely no red throat. Their fins are obviously less flowing than the male, despite them being reasonably similar in size - although everything is relative, and I am no expert, so it could be that I am looking at less mature males, I guess. Anyway, the male chases and catches the other two, pins them down and bites them :unsure: It's not even as if he is only annoyed if they get in his face - at times he will actually seek them out.

I had hoped that it was only going a bit of initial argy-bargy, and that once territories and pecking-order had been sorted out, things would settle down. But they have been in there for over a month now, and things haven't really improved. So far, no-one has any visible marks or injuries - but I can't help feeling that it is only a matter of time before at the very least the stress causes harm even if the actual nipping doesn't.

So, what is my best plan of action?

I could return bullyboy - but if I do, will the two females then squabble amongst themselves? ( they don't at the moment - but is that only because their energies are diverted into avoiding the bully?)
Also, if I am wrong about either one or both of the others being male, I will either have two males squaring up to each other, or a pair - which I understand is *not* A Good Idea. And if they aren't two females, and I get another male, I will likely be starting World War 3 in my tank all over again :dunno:

If I return the females, I will feel a bit mean keeping a basically social fish on his own. Except that maybe he isn't personally that social after all and I'm worrying about nothing hahaha.

Of course, if I am wrong about the two females being female, that in itself could be the source of the problem. As he is *so* grumpy with the other two, would that be likely to be an indication that he simply is an irascible old so-and-so, regardless of who they are? Meaning that it would be pointless trying him with any other two Pearls? He is pretty much OK with the other tankmates ( all smaller than him) Occasionally he is a bit *ahem* assertive at feeding time, but nothing worriesome.

If anybody has/knows of any good photographs of female Pearls that I might not have seen, I would be very grateful if you would point me in their direction. :flowers:

You can all wake up now, I've finished :lol:
Thank you if you have managed to make it this far :good: .

I think to avoid any of your fish becoming seriously injured you should take the females back, that way there is no risks involved. He will be fine on his own and no one will get hurt!

This is unusual for pearls but - how large is your tank? Is that a 45 gallon? Also, it's not exactly possible to know what pics you've already seen unless you say which they are lol - so can you post pictures of your fish instead? They should be quite easy to sex if they are becoming aggressive as they must be sexually mature. What other fish are in the tank? Also, do you have a strong current in the tank?

I would agree with the above though - take back the females. Pearls are generally social but occasionally you'll get a very grumpy one. I've only ever had a single male like that, mind you - but he couldn't be kept with anything vaguely gourami-like or he'd kill them.

Jakester and Sylvia - thank you for your replies. You both confirm my suspicions - that the females should be the ones to go. I think perhaps he just is grumpy, and despite being ostensibly a social fish, he actually isn't, LOL, and will be happier ruling the roost on his own.

The other inhabitants are congo tetras, kuobtai loaches ( v young), peacock gobies, and a pair of anomalachromis thomasii cichlids ( very peaceful). So nobody else is really competing for his space at the top of the tank (well, other than the other pearls) . The current has been pretty gentle up until today - I have just increased the filtration, so it is a bit stronger since this afternoon. Having done a search on "current" in this section of the forum, after reading your reply, Sylvia, I will see about fiddling with it, so that it is stronger nearer the substrate.

I meant to say in my original post - on two separate occasions I have spent the best part of an hour trying to take photographs of the gouramis
hopeless.gif

I did a google image search for female pearl gourami. The main thing that made me wonder if the other two pearls were *possibly* male , is the fact that the anal fin is tinged with red ( but not the throat. And it is just a small tinge). However, as I haven't had a load of replies saying "You fool, of course, they are males if they have any red whatsoever" I am assuming that it isn't significant.

Thank you both for your help - and it's back to the lfs I ( and they) go

Most reactions

Back