After keeping neon tetra alone for a year can a neon tetra live with other neon tetras

they should be kept in groups of 3

I never had much luck with Neons. A few years ago they where on sale at Petsmart so I bought twenty of them for my 29 gallon tank. Within months I lost half and they went down hill all dying. The tank had been up and running for four months with barely anything in it but one snail and a dwarf gourami. So I bought ten more from Walmart and they didn't last long either. Today I have Red Eyed Tetras, I got twelve of these in my 55 gallon and after six months I have only lost one. Lost one him most likely because of my Angel fish.

I never had much luck with Neons. A few years ago they where on sale at Petsmart so I bought twenty of them for my 29 gallon tank. Within months I lost half and they went down hill all dying. The tank had been up and running for four months with barely anything in it but one snail and a dwarf gourami. So I bought ten more from Walmart and they didn't last long either. Today I have Red Eyed Tetras, I got twelve of these in my 55 gallon and after six months I have only lost one. Lost one him most likely because of my Angel fish.
they are small and angels do eat them so maybe get larger ones?

or you should put it in another tank and get it some friends. angel fish eat smaller fish. red eyes are a little bigger so the angel will not eat it. i dont really reccomend putting the little guys with angelfish because they eat them all. (i never had angels before so im not sure, saw some discussions about angels eating tetras online tho)

Hi. First and foremost. Yes.

What size is your tank and what else do you have in there?
The size of my tank is 30 gallons and it would be over stocked with friends ( I have 15 fish with cleaners plus shrimp and snails ). The tank is nearly 1 years old though so I thought it wouldnt do damage as I do 10 gallon water changes every week. He is pretty big if that helps.

strange is your tempertare too high, thats how this guy lost his friends.

Angels are pretty amazing for what size fish they will eat given, that they seem to have tiny mouths...my angle have made gourmand meal of 4 neons a few months ago...

strange is your tempertare too high, thats how this guy lost his friends.
Neons good temp is around 75 F, but they can tolerate a good range from 70 to 80. Red Eyed Tetras temp range is a little bit higher and best around 78. I try to set the temp at about the middle of the fishes temp range.

Yes, get it some more friends or take it to a pet shop and give it to them.

Neon tetras and virtually all species of tetra need to be kept in large groups. In the wild these fish are found in groups consisting of thousands or even tens of thousands of individuals. One on its own is going to be really stressed out.

In captivity you should try and keep tetras in groups consisting of at least 10 individuals, and preferably more.

You may have caused an ammonia spike due to adding too many fish at once.

Most reactions

Back