Advice On Setting Up A Planted Tank

carronann

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been after a larger tank for ages. first problem was that as I live on an island, many companies were going to charge me hundreds of pounds to have one delivered, second hand tank sellers didn't want to courier them and lack of funds meant I couldn't get a brand new 4ft minimun.

Then, my LFS who is a mate, gave me a call to say that a lady had asked him to sell one for her. He picked it up and i went to see it in the shop. It has a Fluval 404 external filter only a month old, 300 watt heater still in the packet and the backing roll (which i have binned cause i didn't like it :( ).

It's 4feet wide but was a bit awkward to measure to calculate the capacity so i measured all the glass around, divided it by 6 and calculated it as a heaxagonal tank. 220 litres (UK)........ All for £200 and I am delighted! Plus he delivered it for me free of charge. well what are friends for :)

IMG_8985.jpg

IMG_8984.jpg

The tank came with a light.. it says :

SYLVANIA Gro - F38w - Gro - T8

on it. I've read the relevent posts about setting a planted tank up but still a bit confused reference lighting etc. I really love the plants in Jimbooo's planted tank http://www.fishforums.net/Memberand39s-Pla...ks-t111385.html and would like to use some the same for this tank. Can anyone give me some advice on what lights i will need etc and best place to get them in the UK. I wanted to keep the wooden canopy on the top... is this possible with a planted tank as i see alot have a light canopy instead?

Plus where to get laterite in the gravel size form. I live on an island so my local shop can get but with ferry charges etc it usually works out better to get from the internet.

carron X

You don't have to have lots of light, a number of people on here run lower light tanks with great success. However that tank of Jimbooo's is a high light tank.

Sam

Most reactions

Back