Advice On Sand Please

Haveagojoe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have at the minute gravel as the substrate in the tank but I want to change to sand, its a bow fronted 70 ltr tank so what do you think is the best to go for, I have a lot of corys which I think will like the sand but I,m not sure which type to go for, a lot say the argos play sand is the best so any ideas would be great.

I've never used white sand myself but you're right that a lot of people use it! I've seen mixed reveiws on it though, a couple of people complaining that it gets discoloured over time but the numbers can't be wrong. My impression is, it's the most popular choice for white sand.

Argos play sand is great :) used it many times, but wash it LOTS in a bucket before you put it in your tank :)

Argos play sand is great :) used it many times, but wash it LOTS in a bucket before you put it in your tank :)

If you are able to, pierce a load of holes in the bag, stick your garden hose in through one hole and into the sand. Turn on the tap and leave for half an hour. A lot less work!

the dirt you wash off is so fine though, probably lose half a bag of sand in the process?! :D

I'm moving away from play sand now though, bloody filters push it around too much for my liking :)

the dirt you wash off is so fine though, probably lose half a bag of sand in the process?! :D

I'm moving away from play sand now though, bloody filters push it around too much for my liking :)

So what would you use instead?

Unipac Limpopo Black in my new tank :)

Tescos Low Dust Cat Litter in my Main tank.

Are you going for the "new" limpopo Tizer? Apparently they've changed it and it's just as black as Caribsea Tahitian Moon now :good:

I dunno if its new, it just says Limpopo black on the bag, which has faded off so its probably a few months old!

Setting up the tank tonight or tomorrow so i'll post a piccy, new journal time, ziiiiiiiiing

If you are able to, pierce a load of holes in the bag, stick your garden hose in through one hole and into the sand. Turn on the tap and leave for half an hour. A lot less work!

another way is to use an old pillow case , same process fill it with sand ,put the hose pipe in and leave it for half hour. :good:

Most reactions

Back