Advice On Fish Please

emma_88

Reaction score
hi, i have a 3 foot tank and have done my fishless cycle. I have just added 6 rummy nose tetra and 6 black widow tetra. They seem to be doing fine and i was just wondering what other fish would get on with these. I would like some more colourful fish and also a plec and maybe an african dwarf frog, Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would you tell me how many of each fish i should buy. thanks, emma

How many gallons or litres is the tank?
Black Widow Tetras can be very nippy and aggressive so you are best not adding anything with long fins.
A Bristlenose Pleco would be fine but you are best letting the tank mature before adding one as they can be very sensitive.
There are many colourful fish out there so it's hard to tell you what to put in the tank. You are best going to your lfs to see what is available and get a better idea of what you like. You can always ask advice about certain fish and members on here will be happy to advise on what can go in. :good:

thanks for your help, my tank is 125 litres.w hat would you say about adding a frog? im goin to my lfs tomorrow to check out their stock. ill pop on here when i come back and ask advice on the fish i like. thnks again, emma

I would be careful adding frogs to a tank with nippy fish. I know very little about aquatic frogs but I have been keeping terrestrial frogs and tadpoles for as long as I can remember and they have very delicate skin.

"A Bristlenose Pleco would be fine but you are best letting the tank mature before adding one as they can be very sensitive."
Bristlenose are a really nice addition to your tank, but if you're getting a small one this comment's dead right. It's very easy to kill baby bristlenose with changing water conditions. I might add though that I once put a baby bristlenose in a five gallon tank that I hadn't cycled, with NINE PLATIES introduced over about a week. It lived. So did all the platies.

thanks for all your help, i added 2 plecs today they're medium sized and seem to be very happy in there. Also added 2 silver sharks and 2 angel fish. Theyre all doing fine, stayin with their own kind and not really bothering with any other fish. Thanks again for all your advice.
Any more tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
i now have in my 3ft 125 litre tank:
6 black widow tetra,
6 rummy nose tetra,
2 angel fish,
2 silver sharks
2 bristlenose plecs.

thanks, emma

Assuming I am right...your tank is 33 gallons...2 silver sharks shouldnt belong in there because they require a much larger tank! They get very big and a 33 gallon could stunt there growth, as for the angel fish i believe it was mentioned that black widow tetras are very nippy, and angel fish have flowing fins....you may have made a bad choice there...so far thats all I can advise you about....hopefully you will take the silver sharks back and get two other fish.

apart from the bala/silver sharks, that stocking looks fine. 125L is too small for a quarantine tank for these guys i am afraid. frogs should be fine, though feeding can be problematic.

Im with others here, those sharks need to go back, they need a minimum of a 6ft tank and like to be a shoals of at least 6, so for their sake, please take them back to the LFS. Watch those tetras with the Angel, they should be ok, but keep an eye on them all the same :)

thanks for all your advice, am thinkin about gettin a larger tank very soon so may keep the sharks. If not i will take them back as i dont want them to be unhappy. Wish the man at the lfs had told me about this when i asked what fish i could have -_- . Thanks again for all ure help. emma

thanks for all your advice, am thinkin about gettin a larger tank very soon so may keep the sharks. If not i will take them back as i dont want them to be unhappy. Wish the man at the lfs had told me about this when i asked what fish i could have -_- . Thanks again for all ure help. emma

good to hear, but do you realise they will need a tank of minimum six feet, and a couple of hundred gallons?

good to hear, but do you realise they will need a tank of minimum six feet, and a couple of hundred gallons?

yeh, have been looking at 6ft tanks today as i realised that the types of fish i'd like to buy wouldnt be happy in my 3ft tank. Should be buying a really nice fluvel one i found next weekend. :) emma

well you would think but for a pair of vary active fish a 6ftx2ftx2ft would probobly be the minimum size for adults but at that point u have so many more options fish-wise. Such as plecos, or larger fish such as south american cichlids.

6ft tank?
ive rarely seen silvers grow over a ft in the aquaria.
wouldnt a 4-5ft be more appropriate?

yep one foot of swimming machine, and 6x2x2 at over 130 gallons is a minimum. the size of the fish is not the only factor in tank size. RTS grow to only 7 inches but they too need room, 50-100g for an adult. lol i was not suggesting the OP got a new 6 foot tank to take these fish, simply how big it needed to be if they kept them.

6ft tank?
ive rarely seen silvers grow over a ft in the aquaria.
wouldnt a 4-5ft be more appropriate?

yep one foot of swimming machine, and 6x2x2 at over 130 gallons is a minimum. the size of the fish is not the only factor in tank size. RTS grow to only 7 inches but they too need room, 50-100g for an adult. lol i was not suggesting the OP got a new 6 foot tank to take these fish, simply how big it needed to be if they kept them.

point taken.
i retract my last statement on tank size. :)
extra swimming space slipped my mind ^^

Most reactions

Back