Advice On Changing Over

Kitty_Nin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have gravel and fake plants, and a very small budget. I'd like to convert over to a very low-tech planted set up in my ten gallon and five gallon. I'm not sure how to do this as the gravel and fish are already in... don't I need to add another substrate under the gravel for plants? The betta I can cup while I do this, but where should I put the fish in the other tank? Throw them in my fish bucket? How long will it take for everything to 'settle' after the change over? I'm going to have regular old 'cool white' fluorescent bulbs when I do this, and really don't want to use CO2. Also, what's the best method of fertilization?

Here are the plants I'm considering:

Japanese Moss Ball
Banana Plant
Aponogeton
Java Fern
Java Moss

I also was considering Star Moss, and would like some sort of short grassy carpeting plant. Now I realize I won't be able to have all of these plants probably, but I was hoping for some advice and recommendations. Where are the best places to get cheap plants?

Basically I know nothing about planted aquaria, except that I want it and have no money, lol.

I have a low tech tank with a gravel substrate. I have just simple LFS plants in there, Java Fern, Vallis some grass like plant and a bush stem that I also dont know the name of. They are growing pretty well with almost zero ferts and no Co2. The lighting is just simple T8 for the Jewul Rekord 800.

I've also recently added some xmas moss as a bit of a test and it is also growing, albeit slowly.

If you are concerned root ferts you can get some fert tablets into the gravel and plant the plants on to if or near to the tabs.

Most reactions

Back