Advice on breeding convicts?

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a male and female convict in my tank. The female convict is looking very orange but seems completely uninterested in the male. Chasing him away most of the time. I’ve only had these fish in the tank for about a week and I’m probably taking ‘convicts are easy to breed’ a little bit too literally. But I’ve situated flat dishes and plant pots in the tank with them but they just don’t really seem interested in each other

Advice?

I have a male and female convict in my tank. The female convict is looking very orange but seems completely uninterested in the male. Chasing him away most of the time.
How big is the tank? I cant believe that they keep convicts together nowadays. I thought they still kept them in separate jails 🤔

She doesn't like him, give her a few weeks, she will then.

Use half flower pots to make caves. Convict cichlids prefer caves to open spawning sites. I used to get ceramic flower pots and cut them in half (from top to bottom) with a hacksaw. Then lay the half pot on its cut side. This made a nice cave and cichlids and gudgeons loved them.

If you don't have a hacksaw or can't cut the flower pots, you can use a hammer to knock a smallish hole near the top and then put the pot in the tank but have it upside down.

You can also just lay the entire ceramic pot on its side and push it into the gravel.

She doesn't like him, give her a few weeks, she will then.

Use half flower pots to make caves. Convict cichlids prefer caves to open spawning sites. I used to get ceramic flower pots and cut them in half (from top to bottom) with a hacksaw. Then lay the half pot on its cut side. This made a nice cave and cichlids and gudgeons loved them.

If you don't have a hacksaw or can't cut the flower pots, you can use a hammer to knock a smallish hole near the top and then put the pot in the tank but have it upside down.

You can also just lay the entire ceramic pot on its side and push it into the gravel.

I actually have done the last thing, I have a pot on its side in the gravel, maybe just needs time I’ll update in a few weeks :)

Most reactions

Back