Advice For A Begginer

Jodie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am thinking of setting up my 30g tank using the berlin method. However, in some places I see that you need a sump, and other you just need the skimmer.

Can someone clarify for me please?

Thanks

I don't have a sump, but my tank is 120g. with a 30g tank you may want a sump so you can have extra water volume.

You can setup without a sump. A sump:
-gives you extra water volume
-provides a place for your equipment outside the main tank
-can provide an area for filter media and a refugium
-it needs plumbing and IS a bit of more work

Protein skimmers should be on any marine tank larger than a nano IMO. You could get away without a skimmer on a thirty, but, despite my 'pro-water changes' position, I would probably skim a 30. The volume is increased, hence, more livestock, unless you keep it purely as a reef tank without fish. SH

You can setup without a sump. A sump:
-gives you extra water volume
-provides a place for your equipment outside the main tank
-can provide an area for filter media and a refugium
-it needs plumbing and IS a bit of more work

Protein skimmers should be on any marine tank larger than a nano IMO. You could get away without a skimmer on a thirty, but, despite my 'pro-water changes' position, I would probably skim a 30. The volume is increased, hence, more livestock, unless you keep it purely as a reef tank without fish. SH

Along with what steelhealr said, sumps also provide a place for harrassed corals to regain strength, and a place to grow macroalgae for mainly herbivorous fish like tangs. Even with just a 30 gallon reef, the corals have a slippery mucus that comes off into the water, which I see to be worth skimming out otherwise, well its in the water and it is less pure.

The Berlin Method is a tank setup with liverock and skimmer. Sumps are not part of the equasion. So basically "yes" it can be done. However i am sure you can see by the advise given already, a sump is a very advantgeous thing to have if you have the capacity to own one.

Most reactions

Back