Advice About Fire Eels Please

Cris_L

Reaction score
I have a 260l tank with a community containing angels, kribs, a small BGK...

I was hoping to add a fire eel but am concerned about a couple of things..

1) Is my substrate suitable, its not sand, more a fine gravel. its not sharp but its definately not as soft as sand.

2) is my tank big enough to sustain a fire eel

3) Is there anything else i should consider before buying one, I'm also looking to add some rainbows to this collection.

The other option is a sengal birchir which I know won't grow as big, should be ok with the gravel but I'm not sure if he'll eat the rainbows.

many thanks for the help :good:

Hi,
the Fire Eel will eventually outgrow the tank and in a mixed community may not be able to compete for food, especially if it is a juvi.

The Senegal may have a go at anything that could fit in its mouth, so small rainbows, kribs or anything else that is small enough may be eaten dependant on the particualr temperament of the bichir you buy.

what is the full stocking? one of the smaller spiny eels such as the peacock or zigzag eel may be more suitable but again dependant on your stock may not be able to compete for food, given the fact that they are usually sold at only a few inches in size

1) Is my substrate suitable, its not sand, more a fine gravel. its not sharp but its definately not as soft as sand.
Depends on the size of the specimen. Eels upwards of 30 cm or so tend to be okay with smooth gravel. It's the small specimens for which gravel is a virtual death sentence.
2) is my tank big enough to sustain a fire eel
Just about. Adults are 90+ cm, and they grow quickly.
3) Is there anything else i should consider before buying one, I'm also looking to add some rainbows to this collection.
Predatory loner. Will eat anything that fits in its mouth. Best kept alone or with things like suckermouth catfish and oscars that won't get in the way of its territoriality. Quite sensitive to bacterial infections. Once settled in lives a long time: a few days ago I corresponded with someone who had a 20-year old specimen.
The other option is a sengal birchir which I know won't grow as big, should be ok with the gravel but I'm not sure if he'll eat the rainbows.
Senegal bichirs are excellent aquarium fish and highly recommended. So long as the tank isn't so deep they can't gulp air easily, they're easy to keep. Fine with community fish too big to be swallowed. Keep away from bullying or nippy fish.

Cheers, Neale

Thank you very much for the replys. the full stocking is:

2 angels, 2 Kribs, 4 ghost cats, 1 BGK, a small albino bristlenose, 2 rams and a few tetra (which may get eaten i appreciate).

basically i had 5 red bellied piranah in this tank but they have no gone to a new home with a bigger tank so I've moved my community into this tank.

Having the extra room I was lookin to stock with a few colourful fish (maybe the rainbows) but I also like the more unusual fish.

if anyone has any suggestions I really do need some direction..

You could try a small group of Reed fish, although these are expert escape artists and so you may need to make some adjustments,
I currently have 1 left from a group of 3, which lives quite happily in a 240L, they are definitely something a little special IMO

another 2 oddballs could be either the golden panchax or the african butterfly fish, both are small yet predatory species that live in the top section of the tank

Reed fish, sounds an idea.

i see you're in shropshire, i live in staffordshire and work in wellington. do you recommend and lfs in the area? thanks

Reed fish, sounds an idea.

i see you're in shropshire, i live in staffordshire and work in wellington. do you recommend and lfs in the area? thanks

tbh Reed fish are not usually something that the local stores have in, I had to order in mine especially, and i daresay thats what you may need to do if you want them,
Coxwell Aquatics (just of junction 3 of the m54 at albrigton) is the only store i use that is over in that direction and i couldn't see why they wouldn't be able to get them in for you
Don't really know of any other stores outside of the Shrewsbury area.

i really like bichirs, more so the more colorful species. I have a delhezi bichir, about 9 inch. Very nice, i love it! The smallest thing i have with it is 2 rainbow garras 3 - 3 1/2 inch. Its fine for now. I have a peacock eel, about the same size, i have natural color silica sand, about 1mm grains. Its about 3 inch thick and the eel loves it. Spends most of the time burried with just its head popping out! And every so often swims around, mid water. I also have a black ghost knifefish also similar size. All live together happily. All very nice and satisfying fish provided you can house and keep them properly!

I always found Bichirs to be more aggressive and predatory than the fire eels.I currently have an ornate bichir and fire eel which I bought together about 2 yrs ago. The fire eel is very fussy in variety of food he is only taking prawn and lots of it but I target feed him whereas my bichir takes pellet prawn frozen food and anything tha tgoes, the bichir is also moreoutgoing than the fire eel which hides more

saying that if I had to choose between them it would be the fire eel for me I love em!!

reedfish are great fish, I have 4 and they are eas yto keep bar the escapism

my experience with fire eels is that they are not as shy as what is commonly believed to be. my previous pair is out most of the time, swimming to the surface whenever i'm near. i do agree they are amongst the fussiest of eaters and food preference between individuals differ. one of mine took bloodworms while the other took tubifex.

they are technically less out-going then bichirs which i think its because bichirs dont actually hide in the first place

I'm concerned my tank will not be big enough for a fire eel. I really would like one but only if I can house him properly. my tank is 260l...any idea if this will be suficient?

its always 180g for fire eels or tyre tracks. 180g would mean around 680L i think if you really want to house one for life. they are really slow growers in my opinion. juveniles could stay in your tank until they outgrow it

I wouldnt want to have to re house him after a few years. the reasoni have this tank free is due to having to re house some red belly piranah.

The peacock eel is a possibility, how ar they personality wise, fire eels seem really outgoing.

my peacock eel hides all the time unless there's food. my other spiny eel, a half-banded on the other hand doesn't really hide (except the first month of so when i got him). smaller eel species tend to do better in groups. the more there are, the more you'd see them around

Most reactions

Back