Adult Gold Dust Molly Has An Eye Problem. Help Diagnose?

jessithebuckeye

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just noticed my adult female Molly seems to have something going on with her eye. I just noticed today, and haven't seen it before.

Is there  anything I can do?

IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg

Also: Just got through a new cycle from a bacterial bloom. Could this be the cause?

Have a look at results for a condition known as "popeye". It can be caused by illness or a physical injury.

In my experience, both having kept mollies, and having seen countless such threads on this forum, mollies seem to have a definite weakness for this.

"Popeye" caused by an illness tends to affect both eyes, and none of my mollies ever had the condition affect both. However, all of my mollies, at one time or another, suffered from the single-eye version. Daily water changes, of around 20%, for 4-5 days will probably sort the problem.

I have 13 2-month-old fry and 3 3-week old fry. Should I try aquarium salts as well?

My adult gold dust Molly has popeye in only one of her eyes, she has her 2 month old fry in the tank with her so injury may be the cause.

I went out and bought Melafix, and have already added this directly to the tank.

I also bought aquarium salts, because I believe this will help her feel a little better, reduce swelling, and keep her fry healthy..

My question is - can I add the aquarium salt directly to the tank? Or do I need to do a water change and add the salts?

I ask because I am being told not to do daily water changes because I just got rid of a bacterial bloom and re-cycled my tank. I am almost due for a weekly change but I really need to know what to do here with the aquarium salts. Please help!

All water peramiters are normal, except the water is a little too soft and the pH is on the lower side. Below 7.

Please help clarify what I should do?

Only fish in tank are Mollies.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:71509]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:71508]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:71507]

I went out and bought Melafix, and have already added this directly to the tank.

I also bought aquarium salts, because I believe this will help her feel a little better, reduce swelling, and keep her fry healthy..

My question is - can I add the aquarium salt directly to the tank? Or do I need to do a water change and add the salts?

I ask because I am being told not to do daily water changes because I just got rid of a bacterial bloom and re-cycled my tank. I am almost due for a weekly change but I really need to know what to do here with the aquarium salts. Please help!

All water peramiters are normal, except the water is a little too soft and the pH is on the lower side. Below 7.

Please help clarify what I should do?

Only fish in tank are Mollies.

Water change + salts, never hurts to refresh some water :)

Just use 1/3-1/2 the dose of salts to start with as it will be like a concentrate to fry, keep a close eye, if you lose any fry start water changing and dont add any more of anything but water conditioner. Dont know what conditioner you use but may i recommend Seachem's Prime (liquid version) or Safe (powder version, highly concentrated - 1 teaspoon treats 700L of water)
They both also eliminate upto 4ppm of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, removes chlorine and heavy metals etc

I rate this as the best water conditioner 11/10! YES 11! :D 

If you've got only mollies in the tank, then I recommend keeping the tank slightly salty anyway - but you need to use marine aquarium salt.

Have a read of this

Most reactions

Back