Additional stocking for 25 gallons- CPD?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve upgraded my 20 gallon to a 25-27 gallon. My water is generally hard with a neutral PH and a current stocking of 9 corys and 6 glowlight danio. I’m wanting to add galaxy rasboras, or CPD. I’m wondering whether or not this will work, and if there’s anything else you’d suggest getting? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Assuming the glowlight danio is the species Danio choprae, this could work. You need lots of plants, and definitely some good floating plants. The cories should not be an issue as they never go after upper fish.

The CPD, Celestichthys margaritatus, needs a good-sized group, with 20 being adequate. Males can be quite fesity but this number should prevent problems. And they will display much more interesting natural interactive behaviours.

Hi.
Congrats on the new tank!
I'm not sure about celestial pearl danios as if I am not mistaken they need GH levels of 5 - 10 dGH, but I'm not sure how hard your water is.
Boraea Brigittae (Chili Rasbora) need soft water (If I am not mistaken) so I doubt they will thrive in your tank.

You could try some neon tetras as although small, are so lively and bright. They can live in hard water.
Other fish like Harlequin Rasboras may be nice, although check their living conditions (eg hardness and temperature) as I'm not sure about them.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi.
Congrats on the new tank!
I'm not sure about celestial pearl danios as if I am not mistaken they need GH levels of 5 - 10 dGH, but I'm not sure how hard your water is.
Boraea Brigittae (Chili Rasbora) need soft water (If I am not mistaken) so I doubt they will thrive in your tank.

You could try some neon tetras as although small, are so lively and bright. They can live in hard water.
Other fish like Harlequin Rasboras may be nice, although check their living conditions (eg hardness and temperature) as I'm not sure about them.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks so much, yeah as soon as i looked into boraes water parameters I ruled them out. I guess I also wanted to make sure my tank wasn’t overstocked which I don’t think it is, but this forums is very knowledgeable so always like to check before

Thanks so much, yeah as soon as i looked into boraes water parameters I ruled them out. I guess I also wanted to make sure my tank wasn’t overstocked which I don’t think it is, but this forums is very knowledgeable so always like to check before

Hi.
Some people on this forum may say you shouldn't add anymore fish because it is stocked enough, however in my opinion I think a 25 gallon tank is big enough for another small shoal of fish. :) Hope you figure it out!

Hi.
Some people on this forum may say you shouldn't add anymore fish because it is stocked enough, however in my opinion I think a 25 gallon tank is big enough for another small shoal of fish. :) Hope you figure it out!
Yeah it’s a hard one I don’t entirely know if it’s stocked enough or not yet

I just noticed the GH is not given, and that is something we need to know.
My GH is around 150 from what I was told by my LFS in regards to mg/L ppm. I want to make sure my tank isn’t overstocked as 20 additional fish in my tank makes me think I may be overstocked no? I do do 50% water changes every week but jus making sure

I just noticed the GH is not given, and that is something we need to know.
Apologise for late reply as well, I didn’t originally see your message. The idea for CPDs is due to seeing them in my LFS in a beautiful planted tank as well as being originally from Myanmar where some
Family of mine are from so feel a heritage tie there as well!

I agree with @Byron - CPD should be in a group of at least 20. You could / should also increase the danios' group size.

I agree with @Byron - CPD should be in a group of at least 20. You could / should also increase the danios' group size.
Hmmm okay I may avoid CPDs then as don’t feel i ll have the space, are there any other schooling fish that can fit in a 25 that stay In the upper or middle level of a tank

I have around 30 CPDs in a 15G cube tank. It won't be too much. Just make sure it is well planted. You will see more of them if the know there is plenty of hiding space.

I have around 30 CPDs in a 15G cube tank. It won't be too much. Just make sure it is well planted. You will see more of them if the know there is plenty of hiding space.

Would any type of Rasbora or tetra work in my tank?

Most reactions

Back