Adding More Substrate

chimera_786

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi!
I was going to begin my attempt at aquascaping and was going to add some more substrate. Now ive read that the nitrifying bacterias live in the substrate. So would the added substrate kind of "suffocate" the bacterias as Im simply going to pile it up? Its a noob question but its a learning process! All input is appreciated.

Thanks!

hi!
I was going to begin my attempt at aquascaping and was going to add some more substrate. Now ive read that the nitrifying bacterias live in the substrate. So would the added substrate kind of "suffocate" the bacterias as Im simply going to pile it up? Its a noob question but its a learning process! All input is appreciated.

Thanks!

I think that is highly unlikely. assuming you are not going to make it a foot deep!! :hyper:

the amount of bacteria in the substrate depends, very much, on how you keep your tank. for most, there is so little in their substrate, that it is not worth thinking about. but some do use their substrate as a part of their bio filtration. in mature tanks, changing substrate has been know to cause mini cycles. but even in mature tanks, this does not happen often.

well thts good news then. I can go ahead and make the addition. Thanks man!

If you happen to use an undergravel (UG) filter, the depth of the gravel is part of the design specification of the filter and is supposed to be kept within a certain height.

If you are not using a UG (which is what I remember for you I think) then the substrate contribution to biofiltration is insignificant compared to the internal/HOB/cannister filter(s) and you have no worry.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back