Adding gravel to pre-existing gravel

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m planning on adding more gravel to my current tank as I add some hardy plants etc in however have been told not to remove pre- existing gravel due to it being a place where beneficial bacteria lives. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to add more gravel in to my tank safely

Are you replacing the gravel or just adding more gravel to the tank?

If you have an established filter, it will hold enough bacteria to keep the water clean if you want to replace all the gravel.

If you are just adding more gravel to the tank, wash it first and then add a handful at a time.

I’ve had my filter for 4 weeks and now all my readings are 0ppm so I believe it’s established. Ideally I’d like to replace all the gravel but am more conscious of the environment in the aquaroum than the aesthetics Ofc so am willing to just add more

I’ve had my filter for 4 weeks and now all my readings are 0ppm so I believe it’s established. Ideally I’d like to replace all the gravel but am more conscious of the environment in the aquaroum than the aesthetics Ofc so am willing to just add more

If there is a "fish" based reason for wanting to change the gravel, it might be advisable to do so; some fish need sand for example. If it is just aesthetics, it might still be best to do it, as you will never really be "satisfied" if you don't like the look or colour or whatever.

Most reactions

Back