Adding fish to cycled tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sergical

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I finally finish cycling my tank about 5 days ago. I have been testing the water parameters ever day to make sure there were no ammonia or nitrites during those 5 days. I had high nitrates and did a water change and brought that down to about 0-5ppm. I took my water to my LFS and they told me I was good to go also. While I was there I bought 2 nerite snails and 2 panda corys and got home and acclimated them to the tank. It has been a full 24hrs since they have been in there. No signs of any ailment and tested my water parameters again today and got 0 ammo 0 nitrite and 0-5ppm nitrates. How long should I wait before getting more corys in my tank?

Hi.
It really depends but I think it is best to wait a week or so before adding new fish.
However, since you already have panda corys I'm not sure if you should wait that long, or if the old panda corys may consider the new panda corys as "newcomers".
What I would do is add some more corys in a few days or a week, but I'm nit sure if this is the right way to do it. :)

I would test one more time, just to make sure. You never can be to careful with these matters. ;)

What I would do is add some more corys in a few days
As would I. I would wait a couple more days just to see if things are really stable. After a few days of things being perfect, then you can add fish.

Just wait 2 days. In the future it will be best to add an entire shoal at once as this helps avoid stress related diseases like ich

Just wait 2 days. In the future it will be best to add an entire shoal at once as this helps avoid stress related diseases like ich
Thanks for the information. Im going to wait a bit then and get about 6 more. Does that sound okay?

Yes, add the whole shoal at once. If you don't, the older ones may pick on the newer ones. (As the older ones have already settled in/socialized.)

Thanks for the information. Im going to wait a bit then and get about 6 more. Does that sound okay?
6 is the recommended minimum. It is preferred (depending on the species) to keep anywhere from 8-12.

I would suggest to get 8, if you can afford it.

6 is the recommended minimum. It is preferred (depending on the species) to keep anywhere from 8-12.

I would suggest to get 8, if you can afford it.
Yeah I have two now I will definitely get some more. I absolutely love them.

Shoaling species like cories should always be added as the entire intended group. They will settle in much easier with significantly less opportunity for problems like ich.

As you have two, I wold get the other four sooner rather than later. Six cories are not going to cause cycling issues. If youhave live plants this is even better; floating plants especially.

I just wanted to update this thread and say that it has been a successful 5 days with all 8 of my corys. They seem happy and are always grouped up. I’m thinking of adding another school of fish tomorrow or the day after. Would this be to soon? Or should I go for it?

I just wanted to update this thread and say that it has been a successful 5 days with all 8 of my corys. They seem happy and are always grouped up. I’m thinking of adding another school of fish tomorrow or the day after. Would this be to soon? Or should I go for it?
You can add them

Most reactions

Back