Adding Coral And Some Random Questions

vanny

Reaction score
Hay Salties,
here is an update on how my tank is doing 3 months now...
I bought some frags recently.. here are the pics

DSC02814.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

DSC02818.jpg

any recommendations on how to better grown and keep there corals

already have an exploding zoa colony, green star polyp and a resilient Xenia

so here are the questions:
1-
I am dosing calcium and magnesium calc:420 mag:?? but I am not growing coralline algae on the glass !!! :(
there is some on the live rock from when i bought them, but i mostly have green algae which until now was out of control. (now under control after i scrubbed the rocks reduced photo period and added a sump with cheato algae)

2-
what does SPS, LPS.... stand for

cheers

Hay Salties,
here is an update on how my tank is doing 3 months now...
I bought some frags recently.. here are the pics

DSC02814.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

DSC02818.jpg

any recommendations on how to better grown and keep there corals

already have an exploding zoa colony, green star polyp and a resilient Xenia

so here are the questions:
1-
I am dosing calcium and magnesium calc:420 mag:?? but I am not growing coralline algae on the glass !!! :(
there is some on the live rock from when i bought them, but i mostly have green algae which until now was out of control. (now under control after i scrubbed the rocks reduced photo period and added a sump with cheato algae)

2-
what does SPS, LPS.... stand for

cheers

I can help a little. SPS= small polyped stony coral like some you have there need high lighting like metal halide, super high quality water and a lot of flow. LPS= large polyp stony usually require a lot less water movement and less intense lighting you seem to have purchased both. Also you have aiptasia and you really don't want those taking over.

I can help a little. SPS= small polyped stony coral like some you have there need high lighting like metal halide, super high quality water and a lot of flow. LPS= large polyp stony usually require a lot less water movement and less intense lighting you seem to have purchased both. Also you have aiptasia and you really don't want those taking over.
[/quote]

ya I know about the aiptasia been meaning to get some aiptasia x to address the issue, but I'm worried it will kill/damage the zoa colony, because they too like the aiptasia ingest the liquid.
I usually take out the rock and break a small piece of the rock that the anemone is on....

Get some peppermint shrimp. They devour aiptasia, if you get true Lysmata Wurdemanni. I had a little aip come in and put it in with the peps, and they destroyed it.

What light do you have? It must be high for the acro, poecilia, and birdsnest.

Other than that, it looks great! Why dont you start a journal?

Get some peppermint shrimp. They devour aiptasia, if you get true Lysmata Wurdemanni. I had a little aip come in and put it in with the peps, and they destroyed it.

What light do you have? It must be high for the acro, poecilia, and birdsnest.

Other than that, it looks great! Why dont you start a journal?

Don't you need to add more than one to get them to eat the aiptasia. I have 3 and none of them touch it.

but I'm worried it will kill/damage the zoa colony, because they too like the aiptasia ingest the liquid.

I've never had that problem with zoas and Aip-X. However, Aip-X flat out doesn't work sometimes. I have seen anemones ingest a lot of it, get their mouths glued shut, and then send off jillions of new anemone buds from their foot for a week because of the stress...and then the aip-x eventually degrades and the parent nem bounces right back. It's very hit and miss. I've had better luck with Joe's Juice, but it also seems to be more caustic since it visibly melts the anemones in a way I haven't seen happen with the aip-x. I have used it on aips in the middle of zoa colonies though without harming the zoas; you just have to be really careful, and it helps if you do it when the zoas are closed up (ditto for aip-x).

Peps really are the beter solution, but in big tanks you do need a lot of them and you have to be very patient. It can take a couple months before you start to see any noticeable change with a bad infestation.

Most reactions

Back