Adding an extra filter to my 60g cichlid tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DGJ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a Cichlid tank that is just about cycled and I'm currently running the below filters

Sunsun304b - 525g/h
Internal Ciano filter - 150g/h
Small Sponge Filter - to use for QT/Hospital

So I'm turning over the water just over 10 times an hour.

Now I am looking to overstock the tank to reduce aggression (also because I just want to keep buying fish!!!!!)

I have a sunsun304b running on another tank that I am selling tomorrow, seems like a waste just to stick it in storage now its fully cycled etc...

Should I add it to the opposite end of the tank to increase the filtration and also have the spray bars etc each end creating a flow?

Hey Everyone,

I have a Cichlid tank that is just about cycled and I'm currently running the below filters

Sunsun304b - 525g/h
Internal Ciano filter - 150g/h
Small Sponge Filter - to use for QT/Hospital

So I'm turning over the water just over 10 times an hour.

Now I am looking to overstock the tank to reduce aggression (also because I just want to keep buying fish!!!!!)

I have a sunsun304b running on another tank that I am selling tomorrow, seems like a waste just to stick it in storage now its fully cycled etc...

Should I add it to the opposite end of the tank to increase the filtration and also have the spray bars etc each end creating a flow?
I do this on my Cichlid tank but mines a 5ft 134g. 2 on a 60g does seem over kill and might cause you too much flow??

What kind of Cichlids you got/having?

Hi DG, Not a problem adding the spare filter, you’ll need surface turbulence to oxygenate the water and can position the filters at opposite ends of the tank. It’s a myth fish don’t like water movement, I’m sure you know just stock slowly. Best wishes with your project, I love cichlids.

It’s a myth fish don’t like water movement
That depends on the fish.

Fish from slow moving water don't like a lot of water movement; those from fast flowing rivers and streams prefer a lot of water movement.

I really am not certain if it’s possible to say fish don’t like water movement whatever their origin - how can we know their state of mind? Fish don’t die just because of moving water - very few if any fish bought in fish stores have ever been in a natural habitat in their entire life. Raised in tanks, shipped in containers then stored in small tanks to be sold to the public. They have no genetic memory of the wild for comparison. That’s why it’s a myth - where’s the evidence?

Most reactions

Back