Adding “accessories” to mystery snails?

Koenator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I was inspired by the Pokèmon “Torterra”. For those of you who don’t know, it’s a turtle with a tree on its’ back, basically.

Would there be any drawbacks to gluing Anubias Nana petite to the shell of a large mystery snail? I think it would be so cool to watch a plant grow on the snail as it moves around the aquarium. I believe anubias is a small enough species that it won’t impede the snails movement, but is there anything I should be worried out in terms of glue affecting the snail?

I think it sounds really cruel.
Curious why you think so. I see algae grow on their shells all the time, and a very small plant won’t affect their movement. Open to hearing your thoughts though.

Curious why you think so. I see algae grow on their shells all the time, and a very small plant won’t affect their movement. Open to hearing your thoughts though.
The algae grow naturally - adding a plant with glue is you interfering to make it look like a Pokemon.

How are you going to stop the roots growing in a way that irritates the snail's body or face? What happens if the plant dies off and releases ammonia next to the snail?

The algae grow naturally - adding a plant with glue is you interfering to make it look like a Pokemon.

How are you going to stop the roots growing in a way that irritates the snail's body or face? What happens if the plant dies off and releases ammonia next to the snail?
It wouldn’t be a hands off approach. Of course I would trim the plant and / or remove it if things get out of control. I’ve trimmed roots on epithites before with only small impediments to their growth.

I've never seen it done, and I wouldn't try it. Anubias, even nana, can eventually get large enough to throw off the snail's balance in a way that a growth of algae wouldn't. I would also worry about the glue. Superglue is aquarium safe generally, but I wouldn't want to apply it to a live creature. (except for myself, of course)

I've never seen it done, and I wouldn't try it. Anubias, even nana, can eventually get large enough to throw off the snail's balance in a way that a growth of algae wouldn't. I would also worry about the glue. Superglue is aquarium safe generally, but I wouldn't want to apply it to a live creature. (except for myself, of course)
Saw another thread (>link removed<) where people talk about using moss. I do think thats a smarter option for this particular idea. Anubias may be too big, i need to look around at other plants more.

Also, I’m not really applying the glue to the living creature. It would be like applying fake nails on a human fingernail. That part of yhe body has no nerves or feeling and it wouldn’t hurt to put on or remove. The snail likely wouldn’t even notice the plant.

I have also seen people repair snail shells with CA Glue with no issues, so I don’t think it harms them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend it at all. You might get glue into the mantle area of the snail, and you are handicapping the snail's movements from then on. Anubias is a larger plant than the algae that may naturally grow on the shells. Taking a risk by gluing a broken shell is different than taking a risk decorating your snail, at least in my opinion.

Saw another thread (https://www.plantedtank.net/threads/attaching-moss-to-a-snail.97720/) where people talk about using moss. I do think thats a smarter option for this particular idea. Anubias may be too big, i need to look around at other plants more.

Also, I’m not really applying the glue to the living creature. It would be like applying fake nails on a human fingernail. That part of yhe body has no nerves or feeling and it wouldn’t hurt to put on or remove. The snail likely wouldn’t even notice the plant.

I have also seen people repair snail shells with CA Glue with no issues, so I don’t think it harms them.
A lot of mosses get surprisingly bushy, too. I still wouldn't do it.

Obviously, you aren't going to get a lot of support for this idea around here. I'm not scolding you about this. There's enough boy in me to see the appeal in gluing tiny decorations to a mystery snail. Those little hermit crabs with tiny anemones growing on their shells are adorable. But the difference, of course, is they can shed their shells whenever they decide to. Snails can't.

So, despite the coolness factor, I wouldn't glue, oh, a little jockey, or a tank turret, or a pair of viking horns, or a fake mohawk on a snail shell. (Those are stupid, tasteless examples; I'm being ridiculous on purpose) I can see the pokeymon-ish appeal. But I wouldn't, and I don't think you should, even though what you propose is much nicer than any of that. What you want to do isn't like putting a cute little bandana or a sweater on a dog. Super-gluing a decoration on a snail's back is permanent. When that plant dies or breaks off, it's going to leave a scar, and it might even damage the snails shell. Maybe it won't. Is the coolness worth the risk and probable discomfort to a living animal? To me, to a lot of people, it just isn't a good idea.

[Edited far too many times in an effort to think this through and articulate why this strikes me as a bad idea]

Last edited:
Saw another thread where people talk about using moss. I do think thats a smarter option for this particular idea. Anubias may be too big, i need to look around at other plants more.

I just read the thread you referenced. I find it very interesting that the idea over there was generally met with support and even delight. [By the way, just so you know, it is against the rules here to post links to other fish forums. We'll probably delete your link at some point because it's our job to uphold the rules, but I think we'll let it slide just for the moment because it's valuable to the conversation] That's the trouble with opinions: Everybody's got them and sometimes they differ. I have certainly gone off the beaten path at times in my fish keeping. Often I have ended up regretting it and wishing I had heeded advice; occasionally I have discovered something unorthodox that works brilliantly.

"In an abundance of counselors there is victory." Read a lot of different opinions, take opposition seriously but not personally, and make the best decision you can, always putting the good of the animal first. That's probably more than enough from me. :)

Last edited:
Anubias nana can't really be trimmed, and it isn't very nana. It's a good sized plant.

So you haven't thought this through in the least, and are probably half tr0lling everyone here.

I'm one of the resident snail haters here, and even I think your idea has veered into the realm of the unwell. But as a fan of the really old Bullwinkle cartoons, I think you might look good with a full sized set of moose antlers. I'm just spitballing that one. I was watching the Rankin Bass Rudolph the red nosed reindeer earlier this evening (man, those reindeer were like 1970s gym teachers) and at least one superglued reindeer antler would be festive, and not inconvenient at all.

You could try it out on yourself, and if it isn't a problem, try it on a snail.

Anubias nana can't really be trimmed, and it isn't very nana. It's a good sized plant.

So you haven't thought this through in the least, and are probably half tr0lling everyone here.

I'm one of the resident snail haters here, and even I think your idea has veered into the realm of the unwell. But as a fan of the really old Bullwinkle cartoons, I think you might look good with a full sized set of moose antlers. I'm just spitballing that one. I was watching the Rankin Bass Rudolph the red nosed reindeer earlier this evening (man, those reindeer were like 1970s gym teachers) and at least one superglued reindeer antler would be festive, and not inconvenient at all.

You could try it out on yourself, and if it isn't a problem, try it on a snail.
Calm down buddy. lol.

I just read the thread you referenced. I find it very interesting that the idea over there was generally met with support and even delight. [By the way, just so you know, it is against the rules here to post links to other fish forums. We'll probably delete your link at some point because it's our job to uphold the rules, but I think we'll let it slide just for the moment because it's valuable to the conversation] That's the trouble with opinions: Everybody's got them and sometimes they differ. I have certainly gone off the beaten path at times in my fish keeping. Often I have ended up regretting it and wishing I had heeded advice; occasionally I have discovered something unorthodox that works brilliantly.

"In an abundance of counselors there is victory." Read a lot of different opinions, take opposition seriously but not personally, and make the best decision you can, always putting the good of the animal first. That's probably more than enough from me. :)
Understood, sorry for posting link. I edited and took it out.

Most reactions

Back