Acrylic or Glass

Lorelei

Reaction score
Which do you reccomend for a new tank. I'm looking at getting something large, say 100+ gallons. I haven't kept fish for years, but I used to have many tanks, my favorite being the 100 gallon. Easiest to keep, impressive to look at but back then we only had glass aqauariums. How does everyone like the new acrylic tanks and do they not scratch over time?

It's a matter of personal preference really. Acrylic is lighter in weight, especially taking into consideration a 100 gallon tank, but it does tend to yellow with age and scratches much easier.

They allow you to drill into the tank though, which you couldn't do with glass. They are good for saltwater setup I think. Quick question though, how long until they yellow, and how bad is it when they do?

You can drill glass unless it's tempered, then you can cut it. They have their ups and downs and it is mostly personal preference.

Drilling glass is very, very risky business. The chances of it cracking are very high. I wonder how many people have tried it.. I wouldn't chance loosing all that money and time on the chance of cracking a tank.

Glass tanks scratch less easy but when they do scratch you cant get it out, Acrylic tanks scratch easier but you can repair the scratches. Glass tanks will normally crack first if they go faulty while acrylic tanks just explode out but this is rare.

Either way, you're going to have a mess if the tank gives out. I think glass is better and it's not likely you'll need to drill glass unless you get it in your head to do a overflow and sump set up and then you could take it to a professional who'll do it though that of course cost depends on the person doing it.

Most reactions

Back