Acidic pH

PETsMARTchick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What is going on? When I first started my tank the pH was a little low so I did a water change and added spring water instead and it helped. Now it's acidic again. It's been like this for awhile and I've tried everything I could think of. I used Proper pH 7.0 and the Jungle Correct pH tablet thingies. I tested my tap water to see if that was acidic but it's high. I did some water changes with spring water but it's still acidic. What else can I do? Luckily I haven't had too much fish loss, just my 2 snails. I don't have any driftwood or anything that would lower it. Please help!!!!

What exactly is the PH level. Also if you can what are the general hardness and carbonate hardness readings. What is the ph of the source water? and as i always ask...what are you trying to change the PH for? breeding or just because its not 7.0? (this is not meant to be a saucy question as many are told to make the ph 7.0 when there is no reason to do so.) There must be something happening in the tank to change the PH so quickly so are there any other ornaments etc in the tank? Keep us posted :)

Why doesn't the pH have to be 7.0? I was taught that it has to be. Even if it doesn't have to be 7.0, my pH must be made higher. I don't know the exact levels but I know my water is soft and my tap water is over 7.0. How can I test the carbonate hardness and what is it? The only ornament I have in the tank is a fake vase ornament w/ an air stone. It's just weird because the pH has never fluxuated, it's been acidic pretty much the whole time. I get get the exact numbers and all later this week. Thanx for your help!

If it isn't too horribly acidic then you're fine. The tetras will love the pH and the other fish will adjust properly. If the fish are doing fine at your lfs and you use the same tap water they do, then there shouldn't be a problem. You can ask to see if your lfs uses RO or adds anything to mess with the pH. Guppies, cories, and tetras aren't too demanding of pH anyway. Down around 6.0 is a little hairy, but they should all do fine as low as 6.5. The main issue is whether or not your pH is swinging a lot. That can be stressful. If it's a little low, then it's best to just leave it be.

I also believe that fish waste and other attributes of aged tank water can lower pH slightly - somebody correct me if I'm wrong (pretty sure I read that somewhere).

HTH, and if you're concerned get a test kit - liquid pH tests are great, easy, and cheap. GL :)

PETsMARTchick said:
Why doesn't the pH have to be 7.0? ... How can I test the carbonate hardness and what is it? ...
The PH of 7.0 is a neutral PH not acidic and not basic it is the best starting point for all the theory of aquaria. If your tap water is not PH 7.0 then chances are that the lfs where you buy your fish has the same or close to the same ph as you and therefore the fish would already be acclimated to the general water conditions in your area. Fish today easily adapt to a wide range of PH from 6-8 with some even lower and higher. So the 7.0 PH is the ideal not the required. Also if you start to mess around with your water chemistry without full knowledge of what the little pilss/liquid does then you are setting yourself up for a very unstable environment in your tank which can cause rapid PH swings and crashes and put lots of stress on your fish.
You can test for KH carbonate hardness with a test kit for KH most of the lfs carry them. HTH :)

if your worried can't you just add peat to the filter, it is suposed to bring down ph, is it not

you are doing more harm buy messing with the ph than if you would just leave it alone...trust me i know.

Most fish can tolerate 5.8-8.5(not all) You need to be able to determine your exact PH. if it's 6.8 or 6.6 it's not something to really worry about.

vantgE said:
if your worried can't you just add peat to the filter, it is suposed to bring down ph, is it not
its already acidic....confused,,

what exactly is you ph? as already said it may be nothing to worry about. could be wise to get a kh test aswell. without this info its pretty hard to help you.

raisng you ph is easy, lowering is not. your pretty lucky in that respect.
but provide more info first.

Hey there,
My 55 gallon has a ph of 6.2, it has been like this since the tank was set up. I was worried at first because it is rather low, but all the fish in my signature are just fine. As long as your PH is stable your fish will adjust, (unless of course its a special tank like an african cichlid tank and although they would adjust to a ph this low it would not be a good thing for them.) but for a normal community tank a stable PH is more important than the "ideal" PH.

I also believe that fish waste and other attributes of aged tank water can lower pH slightly - somebody correct me if I'm wrong (pretty sure I read that somewhere).

During the nitrogen process hydrogen ions are released into the water. This process causes a gradual drop in PH.

thecichlidaddict said:

During the nitrogen process hydrogen ions are released into the water. This process causes a gradual drop in PH.
I'm experiencing that now during my fishless cycle It has gone from 7.4 to below a 6.0 in a matter of 1.5 weeks but some sodium bicarbonate took care of that.

Sky042 said:
thecichlidaddict said:

I'm experiencing that now during my fishless cycle It has gone from 7.4 to below a 6.0 in a matter of 1.5 weeks but some sodium bicarbonate took care of that.
What is sodium bicarbonate and where can I get it?

Most reactions

Back