According The Lfs Man Today...

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Reaction score
Males have vertical stripes and females have horizontal stripes :/
AND HE BREEDS THEM :eek:
Tosser

ok, so that is ridiculous for a breeder to say, but... in fairness, i have seen vertical stripes on one of my males when he could see another male.

surprised me no end, but it happened. also my DTPK male was sold to me as a female because it developed vertical stripes after going into a tank next to a male. he also had an egg spot and was the first of my "girls" to develop stress stripes when any change was made.

they always say they breed them... they usualy dont..

i advised a member of staff at pets at home a few weeks ago about the pk males they were getting in and she was facinated and took in the information and seemed to care. i spoke to her today and she said she passed on the info to higher members of staff and they said that their "breeder" was far more experianced than me and knew what he was doing and i didnt know what i was talking about. their "breeder" is someone who picks fish up from glasgow that have come from manchester that have come from god knows where.. so to say that is utterly rediculous. i think i will be sending them a letter...grr

He said he was too busy to split them up :/

I've seen young males show vertical stripes when flaring at each other, and occasionally I've seen older males show vertical stripes when they are obviously stressed (pale and jumpy). But to say that males "have" vertical stripes... no.

Most reactions

Back