acceptable aquatic plants

rcole82

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey all,

i can't remember if it was on this forum or another one, but someone posted the url for a list of acceptable aquarium plants? if anyone has this url could you please post it? it would be greatly appreciated :D

"Acceptable" is an odd term. There are hundreds of genuine aquatic plants, some likely to be ideally suited to your water, and more particulaly, light. Then there is simple aesthetics, you may have different taste to me.

If I were you, I'd try to establish what light level you have, (2 Watts per gallon of full spectrum, (5500K - 6500K), fluorescent light for 10-12 hours a day is "Medium"), then browse the list at Tropica for ideas.

sorry, i didn't really know how else to word it. :*)

ummmmm, someone posted a list of plants that shouldn't be put in an aquarium i guess, and i think i saw mondo grass on there but i don't remember, i'm just asking because someone i know is selling some mondo grass for extremely cheap and i just wanted to make sure it was okay to put in my tank before i bought some. ;)

Acceptable plants... lol yeah PLASTIC ONES... lol, sorry, i, myself, dont risk it with real plants, since they product ammonia and all that, so i try to stick to plastic one, even though i know they dont have the same feel as real live plants...

:)

A list of unsuitable plants would be almost endless...

If a plant "stands up" by itself, i.e. is not using water to support it, Mondo Grass etc., it is probably not an aquatic. There are some true aquatics that grow in, and out, of water, and the out of water leaves are tougher then the in water leaves.

Few real aquatic plants have "patterened" leaves, so if your plant has striped or spotted leaves, be careful. There are cultivars of some species that do have markings on the leaves, but if what you are looking at has very boldly patterned leaves, it probably won't work.

If the plant is not on the list I linked to earlier, be particulaly careful.

LL has some good advice.

To clarify the answer you're probably looking for right now, ...

Mondo Grass is not a true aquatic plant.

How hard is it to keep your plant under control? I just have it set in my mind that they are a threat to the fishes health, and so why bother if you can get things that are completely harmless... How is this, i really am confused...

????

:/

Plants can't do anything to harm fish. They reduce the levels of fish waste in your tank, remove heavy metals from the water, and provide good hiding spots. They consume nitrAtes, the least toxic of fish wastes. Decomposing fish waste produces nitrItes, which are extremely toxic. Filter bacteria reduce this to ammonia, which then evaporates off or is converted to the less harmful nitrAtes, which is removed through plant growth or water changes.
Edit: What they mean by acceptable is plants that aren't just terrestrial plants that can survive a few months underwater.

i, myself, dont risk it with real plants, since they product ammonia and all that

umm, dont understand this remark, the only way a plant produces ammonia is when its rotting..... its actualy more benificial to fish to have live 'healthy' plants in the tank :)

also.. fish produce ammonia... u have them dont u?
fish food produces ammonia... u feed them dont u?

lol sorry :thumbs:

>>> have it set in my mind that they are a threat to the fishes health,

I also have trouble understanding why you've got this idea. Plants are the natural companions to fish in the wild. Unless you let things go totally wrong, (which would be your fault, not the plants), plants are beneficial in the tank.

I got that from my petstore person at pets at home... they told me that plants produce ammoina and is harmful to fish, and so you have to keep changing and cleaning the plants, and it was alot of hassel, if plants aint harmful then i will consider in investing is some, because i want to make the perfect home for my fishies...

:(

Sorry if i sounded off, but i was only going on what i was told...

No problem, Zenn.

But, as others have stated, plants only produce ammonia after they die.

In fact, plants will take some ammonia out of the water. They need nitrogen to grow, and they in fact usually prefer ammonia as a nitrogen source over many other sources (such as nitrates).

I beleive this is the page you are looking for. The employee at your store is not giving you good information, btw. Aquatic plants are not harmful to fish in any way, and are actually beneficial.

Edit: i guess i should clarify that ~healthy~ plants aren't harmful. If the plants are dying, the rotting leaves will raise ammonia levels but that only happens if you've chosen inappropriate plants.

Most reactions

Back