About those CO wildfires..

Koglin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I was going through some pics on the camera and came across a bunch of when my g/f and I went to Grand Lake (town name) for a few nights. This was in June 2020, before the fires. The area west and north of Grand Lake caught fire (known as the East Troublesome Fire).

For those few days, we hiked/kayaked around within 30 miles of the Granby lake area (directly behind Rocky Mountain National Parks west/southwest side). Hit a lot of trails, hopped a lot of islands. I think these pic's will help show how these fires spread so rapidly, considering the fuel + wind. Additionally, due to the mountainous region, fires cannot be fought on the slopes due to how rapidly wind up there can change directions, immediately endangering firefighters.

There is a widespread black beetle infestation throughout the region, and it has been decimating the forests (from what the locals told me during the trip). Remember, these pictures were taken throughout a 30-mile radius.

I want you to look closely at 2 things in these photos:

1. The percentage of dead trees you see mixed into the treetops on the background hills and mountains (courtesy of the beetles).
2. In the pictures that show it, look closely at the sheer amount of dead trees lay on the ground (also courtesy of beetles). Off the sides of the trails, there were piles of trees they had been pulling off the footpath over time. And I mean like, piles of 12-24 trees. We didn't take photos of the real thick of it (didn't think to at the time), but off the trails in the natural woods - it was unbelievable how many dead trees were on the ground laying all over EVERYTHING.

I think these will help to see how these fires spread so rapidly, considering the fuel + wind. Additionally, due to the mountainous region, fires cannot be fought on the slopes anymore due to how rapidly wind up there can change directions, immediately endangering firefighters.

*Note - this is not the fault of the Wildlife Management in Colorado - but that's a thread for a different time.

IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2052.JPG

(Excuse my pandemic mullet in these next few, everything had been closed for months)
In these 3, those are islands on either side of us, which also got hit by the beetles. In the 2nd one, there is actually a deer on the island in front of me - dunno how he made it out there (can see his rump). In the 3rd one, zoom in on the mountains in front of me and check out the number of dead trees - those exact mountains are on the southern edge of Rocky Mountain National Park
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG

AND now, for the Contrast. In this last picture, look closely at the forests. This area is roughly 5 miles directly south of where we were kayaking and has not been hit by the beetle infestation yet. Crazy difference between where beetles have hit - right?

IMG_2008.JPG

*Edit - I wanted to point out, normally I would run these through photoshop to improve the viewing quality a bit, but since I just came across them on the camera I didn't take the time to. Sometime (maybe) I'll show some actual adventure photos if they become relevant to something on the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    499.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2052.JPG
    IMG_2052.JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    490.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    532.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Amazing thanks for that. What a beautiful area, it just looks enormous. I take it that's bear country out there.

Amazing thanks for that. What a beautiful area, it just looks enormous. I take it that's bear country out there.

Haha yeah, black bears arent too uncommon, same with mtn lions. There's a lot of elk, and some moose too. Sometimes you can find otters, and there are always beavers and trout visible from shorelines.

Here is a few month old moose that interrupted us (and probably a dozen people fishing the shore) as we were getting the kayaks ready that day. The ranger nearby said he looked like he had been born this spring, but the middle of his back (no joke) was eye level with me and I'm 6'1. Had to zoom in a lot for how far off we ran - doesnt do his size justice.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 55
Haha yeah, black bears arent too uncommon, same with mtn lions. There's a lot of elk, and some moose too. Sometimes you can find otters, and there are always beavers and trout visible from shorelines.

Here is a few month old moose that interrupted us (and probably a dozen people fishing the shore) as we were getting the kayaks ready that day. The ranger nearby said he looked like he had been born this spring, but the middle of his back (no joke) was eye level with me and I'm 6'1. Had to zoom in a lot for how far off we ran - doesnt do his size justice.
Moose are dangerous aren't they. I thought one of our friends was chased down a track by a moose.

Moose are dangerous aren't they. I thought one of our friends was chased down a track by a moose.

Yeah they advise to just avoid them (and elk especially) as they can get territorial - especially towards dogs. We were both hunched over the kayaks packing things in, and an older couple fishing on the shore shouted at us to turn around, and when we did this dopey goof was strolling right at us! We dropped everything and backed off, I ran to get the camera out of the jeep while my g/f watched as the moose rummaged harmlessly through all our stuff for a few min., then he wandered down to that shoreline (right past the old couples area, and down past a couple other groups).

Really tied the whole day together lol - was funny. After he was done drinking he just trotted off back into the woods (after holding up a couple cars in traffic crossing the road).

That baby moose is soooo cute! Watch out for mama though, she can get MEAN when her baby is involved...

Thanks for sharing! I like how the evergreen trees stand out against the grey carnivorous trees.:kewlpics::snap:

That baby moose is soooo cute! Watch out for mama though, she can get MEAN when her baby is involved...

Thanks for sharing! I like how the evergreen trees stand out against the grey carnivorous trees.:kewlpics::snap:

Right?? Wildlife is wild lol. We did run into a full-grown black bear one time, but it turns out even fully grown and standing up it was maybe like 4-5 ft tall (adorable) - we scared him more than he scared us and he took off. They're little fellas.

Notice though, the grey ones are mostly dead trees - the last picture is the same forest as the forest in front of us kayaking, just a few miles south where the black beetle infestation hasn't reached and killed a lot of it =[

Most reactions

Back