A Trip To The Dallas Aquarium

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sawickib

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So today i went to the Dallas World Aquarium, its a mixture of a zoo and an aquarium. They had some VERY large freshwater fish, mostly arrowanas and arapaima, but there was red tailed catfish, black pacu and some really nice freshwater stingrays. I mostly got photos of fish because i dont really care about the others haha. So here they are...

These things were massive, absolutely massive. Pretty close to the size of the manatee in the tank.

As you can see here, huge...

Heres a few of them, there was a lot

Heres one to a RTC

Heres its tail, was really cool coloration

Ill post more in a bit

Some of the red tail catfishes.

Theres a black ripsaw catfish in the back.

One of the black pacu.

Vampire tetra, forgot their real name.

The stingrays were stunning.

Saltwater next.

Oh how often I've seen some of those for sale at the LFS! When you see them full size like that you realize how silly it is for 99.9% of hobbyists to try and keep them. 
But they sure are awesome to behold. 

Yea they make you feel tiny lol, both the RTS and the arapaimas, there was babies with arrowanas in the beginning i wasnt expecting to see so many adults there lol

So some prego pajamas cardinals

Some garden eels i think

Forgot what this crab was called haha

Really cool mushroom tank

Stone or frog fish i think

No idea what this cute looking goby is, was in a freezing cold tank

I think this was some type of grouper

These guys looked like pipefish seahorses haha

This tank was very well put together

Cool angel

Leafy sea dragon, i have more just waiting for them to upload

The others sea dragons

Alright shark was in the sea dragon tank haha

Red eyed alligator haha

Flamingos

Burrowing owl, native to where i live in a zoo here haha

TallTree01 said:
Amazing! Gotta love a trip to the aquarium.
Im going to the Atlanta aquarium really soon to :p ill get pics with a real camera there haha

Great pics. Thanks for taking the time to share. Doubt I'll ever get to that aquarium in my life. PLUS ONE for sharing your good time. If you didn't take these with a "real camera" what did you use?

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

yinyangpete said:
Great pics. Thanks for taking the time to share. Doubt I'll ever get to that aquarium in my life. PLUS ONE for sharing your good time. If you didn't take these with a "real camera" what did you use?
Np, i enjoy sharing photos of animals haha, you should really try to go to as many as you can it makes up for some of your dream tanks youll never get, atleast for me it does. I used my phone for the pictures, im going to use my dads canon for the aquarium in atlanta which will be much more eventful :D

Dreamer03 said:
These pics are really cool!

Thanks, I thought the animals in them were cooler though :p
Ninjouzata said:
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!
Thanks, love to share!

I believe the crab is a spider crab, or something like that. And the orange one standing on his fins is a frog fish. :) I am soooooo jealous! The aquarium in my area was just relocated, so now its even farther. :/ The zoo and aquarium are separate and both are at least and hour away from me. :( 

Shelster said:
Awesome pics!

Looks like a fab day out!
Thanks, yea i enjoyed my time there haha

bluesword23516 said:
I believe the crab is a spider crab, or something like that. And the orange one standing on his fins is a frog fish.
smile.png
I am soooooo jealous! The aquarium in my area was just relocated, so now its even farther.
confused.gif
The zoo and aquarium are separate and both are at least and hour away from me.
sad.png
Thanks for the help with id, and sorry about that, i actually have no aquariums near where i live lol their like 2 hours away, but since im on vacation whatevers near me i go :p

My family and I plan on going sometime this summer, and this year we will be gone on my birthday for a vacation. Since we are close to a coast we are going to some tidepools and aquariums that day! 

Thats cool, tidepools are awesome btw ive never been to a good place for them but anything to do with low tide leads you to amazing finds!

The other family we are going with have been to these ones before while passing through. They said they are pretty good ones, lots of life and pretty healthy. It was a few years back though, so lets hope they are still doing well! 

Most reactions

Back