A Tank Too Big?

Callie84

Reaction score
I will be getting my first betta soon. :) I was just wondering If someone could enlighten me?

When my friend bought her male she was told at the pet shop that it would kill a betta to put him in a tank over 10L.

Is it just me? Or is that as big a load of bull as it sounds?

I thought that if they are used to small terrirories, fair enough he might not use the whole tank, but how would too much water kill them?
Or maybe the guy was getting at the fact that they need to be able to reach the surface of the water?

But surely a 20L tank couldnt be the instant death he made it out to be?

Any comments welcome. :)

Most bettas love a big tank. I have a 5 gallon tank I keep a female in, I leave the light on all night and a male can see himself and think he has to defend his territory so it is very stressful for him. I have a divided 10 gallon with a male on each side and they are fine. He will use the whole tank that is for sure, there won't be a corner that he won't go to. They also like to play a game of will I fit, it is amazing how they try to find the smallest place to fit into and turn around.

Mine is in a 100 Litre community tank and seems very happy. He's not a big swimmer, but he's in a different part of the tank each time I look at him. He loves to just hang out and watch the other fish. No one bothers him, and he doesn't bother anyone, so I think he's happy.

And my betta is in a 190l community tank and couldn't be happier!
I think the whole thing about bettas not liking big tanks is really only when they have been in a small tank most of their life before, but I'm not sure.

Certainly, a 20 l sounds perfect, IMO better than a 10l. While most bettas (splendens) are quite far removed from their wild ancestors, you've got to remember that their natural habitat is much much larger than our tanks!

Mine is in a 10 gallon and uses every inch of it, he loves his space and won't share either!
He uses his leaves and his thermometer as trampolines and bounces all round the tank.
Weird critter but cute and very funny. :D

When I first got my Betta and walked into a large pet store chain to buy him a tank (I was looking at a 5-gallon), the clerk told me I would stress my Betta out if I kept him in a tank that big. She actually said they like being in small containers! Thankfully, I'd done enough reading to know better. She lost the sale that day because I decided to take my business to a place that might know a thing or two about Bettas...

I did eventually purchase a 2-gallon tank, but I've discovered it's not easy finding local experts on Betta care. Even the local fish store gave me incorrect information. Thank heavens for the Internet! :D

Oops! My post above submitted itself twice. I wish there was a way to delete posts.

Moving along...

it depends on the better, though, some bettas feel the need to patrol their tank constantly, and having a much larger tank can tire them out quickly. I had a betetr that went from a 5 gallon to a 10 gallon, i noticed he didn't seem as happy in the 10 gallon, i moved him back to the 5 gallon and he loved it. Because bettas all have different personalities, it depends on if they feel the need to patrol their surroundings all the time

i moved a betta from a 5 gal to a 10 gal and he wasnt happy, moved him back n he was even happier, think it was just cause the 5 gal was HIS tank.

My Betta currently calls my 40 gallon community tank his home. He hangs around at the top by the floating plants, and does laps around the tank, fins flared often since he can see his reflection. Looks beautiful doing it too. Often he'll be down by the bottom, exploring and investigating. He doesn't bother my other fish too much, except during feeding where he'll gladly crash the party my Cories are having by swimming right up to the sinking wafers and taking a huge bite out of it. :hyper:

The main thing to consider in size, with bettas, is the height. A tank that's too tall would not be as good as a shorter, smaller tank. Since bettas have a labyrinth organ and breath air from the surface a tank that's too tall would tire them out because they'd have to swim allllllll the way to the top to get a breathe of air. A 5 gallon is perfect for a betta (about 18 liters). I have some bettas in divided 10 gallons, some in 5 gallons, 1 in a 3 gallon, a couple in 2 gallons, and 1 in a 1 gallon. The ones in the 5 gallons are the happiest.

Most reactions

Back