a stand question

wrs

Michelle's Hot
Reaction score
The 75 gallon tank that i want comes with an iron stand. I have no idea if that would be able to hold the tank or not.

The stand is alo one of those double aquarium stands. I wouldnt be getting another 75 gallon, so I would like to put my 29 gallon under there. Is there anything that I can put down that would be able to support the amount of weight in the tank?

personally i would make my own stand and Sell the iron one. You could put a Piece of Plywood in the bottom and have supports under it touching the floor

thats what i though. How much would the iron one sell for, if I was to do that?

These iron stands are built specificly to hold the amount of weight that the tanks produce. When i rented one of my rooms out in my home, the occupier had two 4ft by 12" by 15" high tanks on one of these stands in the corner of the bedroom.
Just to reasure me he aslo put the set up onto a flat piece of hard wood, under the stand and also painted it with an oil base paint to stop the wood soaking up any drops of water. After he moved out the wood was left behind and diddnt have any compression marks from from the feet of the stand.
Hope this info helped!! ;)

thats good news. I am sure my dad would be able to get some things to put under and on top of the second level because he is a builder, and if he ever has scape material left over he lets my brother have it.

I am glad that the stand would be able to hold it. I wouldnt want it to crack one day and then have the 29 gallon on top of it and have it crashing down and breaking and killing both fish while flooding my basement.

Id never be able to have fish anymore.

I would think it would bend if the wieght got unevenly distributed. An iron stand sells for 50$ and a wooden stand costs 40$ to make

don't make your own stand unless you have explicit, reputable instructions! and DEFINITELY DON'T SKIMP ON THE WOOD! remember, a 75 gallon when full of water and everything can easily weigh half a ton!

Why would you sell a stand that was designed for the tank? If you want to put a 29g on the lower compartment, put a piece of wood stretching from the bottom of the stand to each of the four corners, and then another peice in the center. I will be more than enough IMO.

DB :fish:

I use iron stands for all of my big tanks, and they do their job well :thumbs: I even have other tanks on the bottom half and they hold out :D

I have my 29 gallon on an iron stand and it serves the purpose well.The only down side is that you may need to put something under it to cover up the wires if the outlet is directly under the tank as mine is. My wife has a planted basket under it.

These stands are designed to take the weight of a fully-laden tank, so should be fine to use. If placing a tank on a floor other than a solid concrete one, (i.e. one with floorboards), make sure that the tank is situated over the joists. But, if that's not possible, then place two pieces of half-inch hardwood, under the feet of the stand, running from back to front, so that the tanks do not wobble back and forth, so much.

i always build my own stands. Just cause i can use more supports and it is usually cheaper

Most reactions

Back