A Quick Hello From An Excited And Apprehensive 'newbie'

jts123

Reaction score
Hi ALL

My name is John. I am brand-new to the world of fishkeeping and have very recently decided I would like to give things a go on a relatively small scale to begin with. After lots of reading, web-searching and considering all the factors in starting up with a tropical aquarium I have gone for this setup:

HAGEN/MARINA 60 ltr (13 Gallon) 'Tropical' Starter Tank http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=111&PROD_ID=01151720030101
The costings for it vary widely depending on where you shop etc, but I feel I have been very lucky in finding it from my local aquatics centre for a sale cost of £80. (Tank and accessories only - as I don't need the additional stand). Some places are charging up to £130 for the very same setup!! :blink:
Being totally honest, it was just about as much a I can afford at the moment (after taking into account the added extras needed too) but hoped it won't be too small making things unhealthy and stressfull for a small community tank?

At some stage during the next week I plan to site the tank in a suitable place and start the process of 'Non Fish Cycling'. I must say it does feel a little daunting at the moment, but I hope to get a decent understanding of the basics and get the water in a suitable condition within the next few weeks and then gradually add a few well chosen fish after that.

I have gone for a Gravel and Sand substrate combination in the hope it will help widen (or certainly not limit) my choice of 'bottom dwellers' as well as the fact I just fancied the look and feel I hope a 'mixed substrate' will provide.

Really not sure on exactly what fish to eventually get and realise I'll be somewhat governed by acheivable water parameters etc, but I do remember being mesmerised by the Khulie Loaches and Clown Loaches my Dad used to keep when I was a young lad, so I figure I will look at these as options amongst others. (Subject to any advice to the contrary?)

Anyhow.. that's about it for now, but I plan to become a regular vistor to this forum and maybe I'll post some pictures when everything is (hopefully) running smoothly.

Cheers all,

John :)

Walsall
West Midlands.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have been doing your research already, nice to see that you are planning to opt for a fishless cycle! . . Dont forget your Household Ammonia and liquid testing kit! I think your tank would be ok for Khuli Loaches but not Clowns (someone correct me if im wrong!).

Im not far from you (Coventry) and have plenty of fish related stuff lying around so if you ever need anything, drop me a line.

Can I also recommend eBay for tanks, you can pick up some real bargains on 2nd hand tanks.

Welcome to the forum jts123.

A 13 gallon tank is a nice size to start with. It will let you keep around 6 to 8 of the smaller fish once the tank has been properly prepared. We have at least 2 ways for a new person to set up and prepare a tank.

See the links in my signature area for how to cycle a filter with fish in the tank or fishless. Either will work but it will cause you less stress to do a successful fishless cycle. A fish-in cycle requires daily testing and water changes to keep the fish safe from the chemicals that would otherwise build up so we always recommend a fishless cycle.

Welcome to the forum mate, you sound like you have been bitten by the bug! :lol:

Unfortunately clowns need a tank that is roughly 5-6ft so they're out the window.

Good morning and welcome to the forum! :good: Please, don't get clown loaches. One gets too large for your tank and they aren't happy unless they have a shoal to swim with.

Thanks for the welcome folks. :)

..And thanks for the feedback on my initial fish choices... So, the 'Clowns' are a bad idea in such a small tank then? Fair-doo's.. I appreciate the warning.

Anyway.. Looks like set-up day will be this coming Saturday now (following a few delays this week) but still very much looking forward to getting started with the 'Fishless' cycle process.

Just one VERY novice question (and maybe a bit off-topic) but.. This week I purchaced a few clumps/stems of what I am told is 'Vallisneria' plant. As I did not have the tank set-up and ready to plant into, I filled a tall glass vase with tepid warm tap water and put the plant into it for short term storage purposes. I have part-changed the water on both of the last two days (since buying) and it appears to be baring up ok. ...the point to my question is this: Will it still be safe to plant into my tank after the water settles for a few hours after I set it up this weekend? and should I remove the small metal ring clips around the roots when planting or just leave it on?

Cheers all

John.

I believe you shouldn't plant your tank while cycling as the plants will affect the levels

Yeah plants can have an adverse effect on cycling as they use up some of the ammonia rather than the filter cycling. If you have a few bunches then you will probably be alright, but it may take a tad longer to cycle.

The lead around the bottom is to keep it weighted down in the LFS tank. If you have a deep enough substrate then you will be fine to remove the lead weight and plant it into your substrate without the risk of it floating up and around your tank. This will also give it chance to spread it's legs a little and begin to form a root structure. :)

Following the advice, I have now posted a log of my cycle for others to read and comment on.

Find it here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/379179-60-litre-fishless-cycle-log/page__gopid__3175622

Cheers.

Most reactions

Back