Reaction score
is the so called agassizii 'double red' A. agassizii Ampiyacu
or is that another fish?

hmmm.
I'm still not convinced

is the so called agassizii 'double red' A. agassizii Ampiyacu
or is that another fish?

Hi Wolf,

What we regard nowadays as double red, triple red etc are all line bred colour morphs (both with aggies and cac's). Although they would have had wild ancestors, they are now well and truly domesticated.

The big problem we face with wild caught Apisto's just now is that everytime we catch a fish with a slight colour variation, the collection location (or similar) is added after the name giving the impression it is possibly a new species, and when you consider the colour variation within the populations, this makes it (in my opinion) even more farsical!!!.

As mentioned above, A. agassizii 'Ampiyacu' is a wild fish from Peru, given the variation in colours of the various wild populations (anything from reds and oranges through to various shades of blue), it's anyones guess as to where the domesticated 'double red' strains originated from.

Andrew

so what you are saying is the double red is a man made fish :unsure:

so what you are saying is the double red is a man made fish :unsure:

In a sense, yes, they are man made. The fish have been line bred and with each succesive generation we have been selecting the most colourful individuals to enhance the trait. Now whether this is for double red, triple red etc, it's still the same, it's an aquarium derived colour strain.

We've had all these colour variations with the Apisto cacatuoides for a long time now, the Apisto agassizii colour variants have been over in Germany for a while and they are now feeding through into the UK hobby so they are still relatively new to us. Below are a couple of links to 'aquarium strains' of aggies (courtesy of Mark Breeze):

A. agassizii 'Flash' (German stock)
A. agassizii 'red tail'

I have some aggies (not wild fish) just now that are showing red in the dorsal, anal and caudal fins, so could these be classed as 'triple red'???

Andrew

Most reactions

Back