A Gourami Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

barb-e

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Could I keep one dwarf gourami in a 2.5 gallon tank?

Would it need a filter?

Everytime I go to the petstore (different ones) I see more gouramis dead than any other fish. Are they extremely sensitive?

well yes and it might need a small interior filter and those heaters that cost bout 5 dollars

No.
It wouldn't be fair to keep a gourami in a tank of that size, nor without any companions, it may work but it would be cruel size wise and it'd probably end up stressed out and therefore more vunerable to disease, which dwarf gouramis seem to be quite vunerable to anyway.
It would need to be filtered and heated.
Theres many other, smaller, more suitable fish for a tank of that size.

Absolutely not. Like germ said, they are very prone to stress-related disease. Small tanks are particularly likely to expose the fish to fluctuations in temperature and water quality, due to their high surface are to volume ratio and small volume respectively.

If you must keep a gourami in that size tank, a Betta splendens would be the way to go. Most smaller wild Betta species also work fine in smaller tanks.

dude....no gouramis need 10 or more galons putting him in a 2.5 is like keeping a betta in one of those damned cups its inhumane and cruel....not only are they sensitive but they are beautiful and deserve a well balanced 10g or more tank...

Most reactions

Back