A Few Questions From A Beginnner

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

charley101

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post so I hope I am posting it in the right place!

I have a few questions regarding my tropical tank and what fish live well together. I have kept goldfish for a few years but would like to now change to tropial. Sorry if these questions have been asked before.

I have a new Marina 60 litre tropical tank which I have set up tonight. I have a Marina stand, heater, light, thermometer, gravel, live plants, filter, ornaments and tap water conditioner that came with the tank.

One of my questions is regarding the water conditioner and the ideal temperature of the water. I have currently set the heater to 25/26 c. Is this an ideal temperature? Also the 30ml bottle of water conditioner has no directions on the bottle. How much am I meant to put into the water and can I put too much in?

I have researched the types of tropical fish that are available to buy and I am interested in neon tetras, black neon tetras, cherry barb and guppies. Are these okay to live together or is it better to keep larger groups of the tetra and forget about the other 2? If the guppies are okay should I get the same sex? Finally, how many fish can a 60 litre tank take as the man from the pet shop said about 20 small fish. I understand that I cant have too many fish in my tank as it will be overstocked.

Sorry for all the questions but I dont want to rush into buying fish that arent suitable together.

Thanks, Charlotte

Hi, this is my first post so I hope I am posting it in the right place!

I have a few questions regarding my tropical tank and what fish live well together. I have kept goldfish for a few years but would like to now change to tropial. Sorry if these questions have been asked before.

I have a new Marina 60 litre tropical tank which I have set up tonight. I have a Marina stand, heater, light, thermometer, gravel, live plants, filter, ornaments and tap water conditioner that came with the tank.

One of my questions is regarding the water conditioner and the ideal temperature of the water. I have currently set the heater to 25/26 c. Is this an ideal temperature? Also the 30ml bottle of water conditioner has no directions on the bottle. How much am I meant to put into the water and can I put too much in?

I have researched the types of tropical fish that are available to buy and I am interested in neon tetras, black neon tetras, cherry barb and guppies. Are these okay to live together or is it better to keep larger groups of the tetra and forget about the other 2? If the guppies are okay should I get the same sex? Finally, how many fish can a 60 litre tank take as the man from the pet shop said about 20 small fish. I understand that I cant have too many fish in my tank as it will be overstocked.

Sorry for all the questions but I dont want to rush into buying fish that arent suitable together.

Thanks, Charlotte

I think tetras and guppies should be okay, but do remember that tetras can be nippy, and so the guppies may be bullied in the tank.
Guppies are livebearers, so trying to get all males would make sure that you don't get any unwanted fry!
Do you know anything about cycling your tank? If not, I got you a link here.
Also, if you're unhappy with your decor, then it's best to change it now rather than when you've got your fish in.
I'm afraid I can't help you with anything else, but hopefully someone can!
Good luck with your new tank! :good:

The great thing about doing a fishless cycle is that all during that time you can be discussing the pros and cons of various fish combinations with some of the experienced folks on here and it may help you feel better about your stocking plan by the time your biofilter is ready to handle fish!

~~waterdrop~~ :)

Guppies should be fine with those particular tetras. I keep guppies with tiger barbs and buenos aires tetras (both notoriously aggressive fin nippers) and they do ok. I've kept guppies with neons and had no issues. Make sure you read up on cycling, perform your cycle to completion, and if you get guppies get only male. The females are an ugly drab brown color and are far less active. Males have all the bright markings and are quite lively.

Hi Charlotte, I joined yesterday too! The cycling seems like an unavoidable task to ensure healthy fish. I didnt know anything about it until last night after already losing my two new additions. It sounds awfully scientific and complicated. Good luck!

Hi Charlotte, I joined yesterday too! The cycling seems like an unavoidable task to ensure healthy fish. I didnt know anything about it until last night after already losing my two new additions. It sounds awfully scientific and complicated. Good luck!

It can seem a bit overwhelming at first. We tend to speak a bit "scientific" but dont worry.

It realy is not that complicated & we will guide you though it.

Tom

It can seem a bit overwhelming at first.

Tom

Too right, but it does get easier once you know the basics ... I'm not exactly the most clued up on science and such like, but im understanding things a lot better now :good: It takes time, and believe me you too will understand it all soon Good luck charley101 & wend! :D

Hello,
I agree with the other members. When you start anything new it can be a little daunting at first but you soon begin to build up confedence and with being a member to this forum you simply can't go wrong.

Keep us all posted, Keith.

If you still have goldfish and they have a filter, you can use some of the "biomedia" from that filter to seed the new filter you are going to cycle. Let the members know it that's a possibility for you.

~~waterdrop~~

Hello,
I agree with the other members. When you start anything new it can be a little daunting at first but you soon begin to build up confedence and with being a member to this forum you simply can't go wrong.

Keep us all posted, Keith.

+1 I learned just about everything I know from this forum!
good.gif

This forum IS tropical fish keeping at its best. :good:

Most reactions

Back