A distillery is fighting invasive crabs by turning them into whiskey

Cheers. Global warming again.
Yesterday on the Dutch news.
The Bonita (a tuna like fish) gets too fat cause there is more plankton available due to global warming. Uhhhh those fish don't eat plankton. Fitst wild fish that get too fat due to global warming. Think I gonna use that myself. "Too fat. Yep global warming huh"

We've your crayfish invading our waters btw. Only we don't have Dutch Whiskey to solve the problem grrrr. Will Crayfish beer be an option?

That's really cool!
I don't drink whiskey usually, but I'd totally try it at least once. :) It is a cool way to raise awareness, and hopefully get people interested in harvesting the green crabs for food. We suck when it comes to invasive species everywhere. But if it's something we want to eat, we're good at wiping it out...

Can they be eaten?
ISTM when there is too much of something edible, the choice is obvious.
I agree, waste not, want not

But from the (very) few vids I've seen of them, they aren't really big enough for human consumption...

Doesn't mean they can't be harvested and used for pet food, I would think...especially cat "seafood" varieties

Seems the researcher is trying to get people to want to eat them;

"Bradt said creative projects like Crab Trapper can help address the problem by raising awareness. Her own research focuses on tracking where and when green crabs molt. The idea is that if you can catch them right after they molt, you can cook them like other soft shell crabs and get more people to eat them.

Right now, there's no commercial incentive for crabbers to harvest green crabs on a scale large enough to make an impact, she said. But she hopes new products that use the crab – like fishing bait, whiskey, fish sauce, and more – could change that."

Seems the researcher is trying to get people to want to eat them;

"Bradt said creative projects like Crab Trapper can help address the problem by raising awareness. Her own research focuses on tracking where and when green crabs molt. The idea is that if you can catch them right after they molt, you can cook them like other soft shell crabs and get more people to eat them.

Right now, there's no commercial incentive for crabbers to harvest green crabs on a scale large enough to make an impact, she said. But she hopes new products that use the crab – like fishing bait, whiskey, fish sauce, and more – could change that."
Good point...but no matter which crab we're talking about, commonly consumed or not in the US, I find them too much bother to deal with, anyway..lobster, the same

Give me crab (or lobster) meat that someone else has cleaned from the shell, cooked properly, and I'll gorge on it, on the other hand :lol:

I agree, waste not, want not

But from the (very) few vids I've seen of them, they aren't really big enough for human consumption...

Doesn't mean they can't be harvested and used for pet food, I would think...especially cat "seafood" varieties
But shrimp. crayfish, etc are also small. Or is it the shell/meat ratio.

BTW, one of the best shrimp I've ever had is Rock Shrimp, in the Cocoa Bch/Titusville Fla area.

BTW, one of the best shrimp I've ever had is Rock Shrimp, in the Cocoa Bch/Titusville Fla area.
we have freshwater crayfish here that grow to 2 feet long and there are some sea dwelling types of crabs and crays that get bigger.
Smooth marron - Cherax cainii
Murray crayfish - Euastacus armatus
Giant Tasmanian crayfish - Astacopsis gouldi

Above, in red...I don't do "mud bugs", either....

Most reactions

Back