A decoration from an established tank

Bloopie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I just set up my 25 gallon tank and need to start cycling.
I also just took a piece of a well established aquarium (year+) in order to put it in as I heard it helps (sort of like taking gravel)
Here is a picture of it:
http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/4990/piece1gd.jpg

Can anyone please assure me that I should be doing this?
Btw, the piece has been taken from a goldfish aquarium, does that matter?

If you take the media from the established filter, and squeeze some of the "goop" from it into the new cycling filter you will be adding a load of benificial bacteria. I did this long ago when I just had a couple of tanks, I now keep spare filters running on existing tanks. If I need to set up another tank I just add one of the cycled filters.

The deco will help, and it doesn't matter if it is from a cold water tank, as long as the tank is cycled. You will get more bacteria from your media though.

Tolak

You can get a nylon sock and put some gravel from the established tank in it and put it in the new tank. Plus you can take some from your filter. Depending on what kind of filter you have. They are several different ways to jump start a cycle.

The spare filters advice is some of the best I have heard and the best I can give. Get a small filter extra for every tank. Your water will be clearer and if you ever need to do an emergency water change or cycle youve got it practically done for you! A full cycle can be achieved in under a week with the proper filtration, preconditioned water and substrate setup (just like doing a large water change really).

The decoration is indeed a good idea too. Practically anything from a cycled tank will help out your water conditions.

Okay I have a few more questions!

I do have a 40~ day old (20ltr) goldfish tank...
Will it be a good idea to get the gravel from it and squeeze the media from its small inner filter into my 96ltr (25 gallon) canister filter?
I don't have test kits atm and have no idea about the level of ammonia/nitrate/nitrite in that tank, but the fish in it look very happy and hungry.

The gravel in the small tank is pinkish (washed well, yes) and won't look good at all with the dark gravel I have in my 96ltr tank. after the tank has cycled, will I be able to take the gravel I used to cycle with out? or does it have to stay in?

Btw, do you all agree that pure ammonia cycling is the best way to cycle without fish? or is fish food a good alternative?

And what concentration % of pure ammonia should I be after?

Thanks, I think this will finally get me started! I appericiate all your help.

Also, should I add the water from the 20ltr goldfish tank?

Most reactions

Back