A Cunning Plan

mhancock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been trying to do water changes without spilling water onto the floor and would like to avoid carrying huge heavy buckets round the house. Have also been playing with the siphon and think I have a solution......

1) After hoovering the gravel, siphon directly out of the window onto the garden! As you can see, the window mechanism holds the hose in place which discharges the water into a bush. The end of the hose is adjusted to the height that I want the water in the tank to go down to so it does not need to be carefully watched:
IMAG0575.jpg

2) This adaptor cost nearly £10, but done up reasonably tight it does not leak at all and the mixer tap allows the temperature to be just right. I let a lot flow through the hose first so that no stale water was in there:
IMAG0574.jpg

3) Power to tank off now just in case chlorine gets into the filter, although dechlorinator was added first, and so that the heater that is now partly exposed is not on. For this part I did not leave the tank, just in case.....
IMAG0579.jpg

4) Happy fish!
IMAG0580.jpg

What I did not take a photo of was the floor with no drips on it!

I guess another way would be to have the hose connected and the siphon taking water out of the tank at the same time, with the filtration turned off, then add dechlorinator before switching the system back on. That way you could gradually do a 100% water change (or nearly) but with the tap not turned on too high do it nice and slowly so the fish are happy.

What do you think?

Good cunning plan but i dont think your thew first to think of it

Ah but would the water powers that be consider that using the hose to vent the tank water onto the flower bed, be in breach of the legislation? :lol: :lol:

I'll get me coat!!!!

David

Most reactions

Back