Fish_Mike

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Filtered by an Eheim 2215, the following Fish will be in it:

6 Melanochromis Auratus
4 Pseudotropheus Species (one species)
4 Tropheops Tropheops
6 Labidocrhomis

This stocking was under the cookie cutter section for a 75, so i upped the amount of 2 of the species by 2, is this a good stocking and, will the filter be enough?

Thanks, Mike

As usual it depends on the fish to be kept, but a typical Tanganyikan community is moderately stocked. I have no doubts the 2215 will take care of all the biological needs, but because of the size of the tank and the low flow of the filter you'll find it very ineffecient at mechanical filtration, and a second filter might be needed. You can always add one when you feel you need it, and a simple HOB works as well as anything - there is no need for a trickle filter. About 78 is good for all the rift lakes. Cichlids don't care much about technology one way or another, but powerheads are great for getting water moving in the tank. Your biggest concern with canister filtration is getting some movement at the surface.

No, I really don't think you'll be happy with just the 2215 in the long run, though it will be enough at first.

"Pseudotropheus" is vague, there are some species that would not do well in this setup. Otherwise it sounds like a nice, if highly aggressive, setup.

Once again, i've changed my mind: Not because the filter may not be enough, but rather because... just cuz.

So it's come to: 6 Cyrtocara Moorii
4 Otopharnyx Lithobates
4 Aulonocara Baenschi

Good? Bad?

Sounds fine as long as you are aware the dolphins will eventually outgrow the tank (it will take a long time though). Make up your mind. The filter won't be enough for a Malawi tank of adults no matter how you cut it.

Alright, well i'm going to stick to this tank, and made up my mind on this set up. If i added a HOB filter, would a Eheim Liberty Filter 200 work?

All the fish will be bought as babies, so i may as well get the filter a few months down the road...

And the Blue Dolphs, how long will it take to outgrow?

They grow slowly so it'll take a good while but it's always best to only buy fish you know you can house permanently. It's not fair on them to buy them with upgrading in mind for the future as you never know what might come up and a lot of people delay the upgrade as much as possible when it comes down to it. Unless you are definite you'll get a bigger tank within the next few months, either get that tank to begin with or skip the dolphins for something smaller.

Gahh, i'll give them a miss then, i guess :( :-( My favourite Malawi. You guys are sure they'll out grow the tank?

Liveaquaria says they'll do fine... so does another website that i'm not allowed to disclose. It pertains to a setup recommending (for a 75g) 4 Blue Dolphs, and all the rest. Thinking another 2 would be fine.
Also read an article in AFM about one who added 7 to his 90 gallon...

They get to 9inches in captivity, really too big?

Gahh, i'll give them a miss then, i guess :( :-( My favourite Malawi. You guys are sure they'll out grow the tank?

Liveaquaria says they'll do fine... so does another website that i'm not allowed to disclose. It pertains to a setup recommending (for a 75g) 4 Blue Dolphs, and all the rest. Thinking another 2 would be fine.
Also read an article in AFM about one who added 7 to his 90 gallon...

They get to 9inches in captivity, really too big?

http://malawicichlids.com/mw08033.htm

hope this length helps

Alright thanks, i guess that really knocks it off the list...

See, what i'm trying to do is choose a fish that i like, and select tankmates that are suitable, and in this case, it was the Blue Dolphin...

I will search some more :thumbs:

I suppose technically the ethical thing to do is get a fish that will be good permanently, but it really would take years for the Dolphins to outgrow the tank, and around here, at least, finding a home for a harem of older Dolphins would be easy, and bring a decent price too.

No, Sylvia is right. I mean, i like to look at my fish and think of cool it will be to see them when they're full grown, and knowing i'll be their permanent caretaker. It's more sentimental.

My stocking, for A Tang Tank:

2:4 Ophthalmotilapia Ventralis
1:3 'Lamprologus' Calliurus
2 Neolamprologus Leleupi
4 Julidochromis Marlieri
3 Altolamprologus Compressiceps
6 Synodontis Petricola

I'll be very satisfied if this works out. Are any of them hard to find? Is there typical biotope rocks and wood?

Thanks so much for bothering :D

Ventralis and Calliurus may not be so easy to find. You can only have one pair of Julidochromis in the tank. Make sure you understand the semantics of obtaining pairs and remember that these Tang communities must very well kept. Rocks and sand and shells for the shelldwellers is the typical biotope.

Most reactions

Back