75 Gallon Planted Community Stocking Advice

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

memorysan

Reaction score
I've had a few aquariums in the past, several freshwater and even tried saltwater once.

Anyway, I wanted to get your opinion on this stocking idea for a 75 gallon community tank. I plan to go with a planted tank (first time doing this):

Dwarf Chain Loach X5
Bristlenose Pleco X2
Siamese Algae Eater X1
Ember Tetra X10
Pearl Gourami X4
Honey Gourami X3
Rainbow Gourami X3
Blue Gourami X3

I'm trying to get some cleaning crew that would also be cool fish (I don't like snails and feel like shrimp might turn into expensive snacks for other fish), some small schooling fish, some medium colorful fish, and a few colorful centerpiece fish. When looking for the colorful fish of medium to larger size (that would be peaceful enough to be kept with Tetras) I decided that a Gourami tank might be cool.

I'm planning on using a Fluval 407 canister for filtration, CO2, UVC, Fluval Plant 3.0 LED lighting, a wall of air bubbles along the back wall, YukiHalu heater, etc. The plan is to have all hardware be rated for a tank slightly larger than 75 gallons.

It's not setup at all yet, probably won't be for a few months, actually, because I'm waiting until after I move. I'm in the preplanning and dreaming stage now.

Of the fish you have listed I had bad aggression with the Blue Gourami, in the end if allowed they would have killed all the fish in my tank. I had the best success with the pearl gourami, they seemed to me the most personable, at least to me. I currently have a single ember in my Angel tank but all the angels grew up with him and they leave him alone, I believe this to be luck only, embers are beautiful fish but they might be too small to put in a tank with larger gouramis. I use a fluval 407 in my 75 gallon tank and I love it. I use jungle vals to reduce the flow. I would probably avoid the Siamese Algae eater.

Your configuration sounds good, I would recommend you leave off the species selection until you move just because your water might be too hard for some of the fish you selected, or if the planning is part of the interest look at a hard water, softwater, and middle of the road type communities, then you are ready no matter what your water is like. Of course you can use RO water if you are intent only on softwater fish.

Of the fish you have listed I had bad aggression with the Blue Gourami, in the end if allowed they would have killed all the fish in my tank. I had the best success with the pearl gourami, they seemed to me the most personable, at least to me. I currently have a single ember in my Angel tank but all the angels grew up with him and they leave him alone, I believe this to be luck only, embers are beautiful fish but they might be too small to put in a tank with larger gouramis. I use a fluval 407 in my 75 gallon tank and I love it. I use jungle vals to reduce the flow. I would probably avoid the Siamese Algae eater.

Your configuration sounds good, I would recommend you leave off the species selection until you move just because your water might be too hard for some of the fish you selected, or if the planning is part of the interest look at a hard water, softwater, and middle of the road type communities, then you are ready no matter what your water is like. Of course you can use RO water if you are intent only on softwater fish.

I'm using a 407 as well. What is a Jungle val? I was toying with getting the spray bar kit since I plan to introduce Angels back into the tank now that I've gotten through my crazy hurdles.

I've had a few aquariums in the past, several freshwater and even tried saltwater once.

Anyway, I wanted to get your opinion on this stocking idea for a 75 gallon community tank. I plan to go with a planted tank (first time doing this):

Dwarf Chain Loach X5
Bristlenose Pleco X2
Siamese Algae Eater X1
Ember Tetra X10
Pearl Gourami X4
Honey Gourami X3
Rainbow Gourami X3
Blue Gourami X3

I'm trying to get some cleaning crew that would also be cool fish (I don't like snails and feel like shrimp might turn into expensive snacks for other fish), some small schooling fish, some medium colorful fish, and a few colorful centerpiece fish. When looking for the colorful fish of medium to larger size (that would be peaceful enough to be kept with Tetras) I decided that a Gourami tank might be cool.

I'm planning on using a Fluval 407 canister for filtration, CO2, UVC, Fluval Plant 3.0 LED lighting, a wall of air bubbles along the back wall, YukiHalu heater, etc. The plan is to have all hardware be rated for a tank slightly larger than 75 gallons.

It's not setup at all yet, probably won't be for a few months, actually, because I'm waiting until after I move. I'm in the preplanning and dreaming stage now.
I've read here or somewhere else that it is best not to keep different types of gourami together, as they will fight. I will recommend getting more pearl gouramis instead, since they get very large!

Most reactions

Back