60 Gallon Stocking

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lillypad101

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all!
I recently just got a 60 gallon freshwater (230liters)
48Lx18Wx16H
I am cycling it now, so it will be a little bit before adding fish, but just planning ahead. I have a few ideas already, but feel free to add your own and comment on any issues you see with my current stocking.
Water parameters depend on type of tank:
Ph- 6.4-7
Amm.-0, NO2-0, NO3-below 40
I don’t remember water the hardness is, but I do know that I have very soft water
Planted driftwood scape
Centerpiece - x6 angelfish
I definitely want angelfish, so something to live with them. I like lots of other cichlids. I also like gouramis and bettas (people seem to have different opinions on whether angelfish make good betta tank mates). Any advice on stocking options?

Six angelfish in a 60 gallon seems a bit crowded to me...but I could be wrong. I certainly wouldn't recommend angels and bettas together. I'm sure you could find someone who has done it and had it work for a while, but I think you're asking for a dead betta. I'd stay clear of gouramis, too, as all of them are territorial to varying degrees. I doubt they would play well with angelfish.

As for tank mates, any of the chunkier tetras would probably work. I'm partial to whitefins (Hyphessobrycon bentosi) at the moment, but there are many possibilities. Avoid serpaes, as they are mean little cusses; there are others that are just as pretty but nicer.

Maybe 4 angelfish then?
No bettas or gouramis.
Maybe green fire tetras? They get bigger. I also really like Congo tetras, and flame tetras.

Well, angelfish are tricky for several reasons. The first is that, properly taken care of, they get quite big. That means a large tank and small numbers. They also are aggressive and territorial, but also highly social. That means larger numbers are better. Then there is the fact that their long fins and large size make them very vulnerable to fin nippers.

The aggression is no big deal as long as they have enough room to get away from each other. It's actually part of the charm of the species. I have five in a 150 gallon tank, and their aggression is actually highly amusing because the shoving matches never escalate to more than that; the fish posture and nip at each other for a bit then go their separate ways. In cramped quarters, they can really destroy each other. I've kept a pair in a 30 gallon and never would try that again; the larger terrorized the smaller and I finally had to rehome him, leaving the smaller one living alone. A 60g? Maybe? I don't know if that's enough space or not. Hopefully someone will chime in who has tried it.

I've never kept green fire tetras. They are beautiful, but I suspect the angels would eat them before they grew up. Flame tetras have the chunky shape that is hard for angelfish to eat, and they are probably peaceful enough if you get a fairly good-size school, say ten or more. I don't know much about congo tetras. You don't want anything with the slightest inclination to nip fins, so be sure and do your research.

I do like severums, so I’ll consider them.
In a 60 gallon you'd be best with Rotkiels or Liberifer - both species are smaller than the regular Efasciatus species like the Greens and Golds.

How you do it is an interesting proposition... if it were me I'd go with a single specimen of Severum and a group of something like Cupid Cichlids. Go with the Flame Tetras you mentioned and maybe some mid sized catfish for the bottom level like Flagtails or Hoplos.

Wills

I am / have been considering a red shoulder ( Rotkiel ) for a 55 gallon, but they may get too large... I found this article informative...

and this supplier ( I've not bought from them yet ), had some 3 inch fish but those have sold out... they only have 6 inch fish right now... & that's too big to start, since everything else has been coming in as babies

I am / have been considering a red shoulder ( Rotkiel ) for a 55 gallon, but they may get too large... I found this article informative...

and this supplier ( I've not bought from them yet ), had some 3 inch fish but those have sold out... they only have 6 inch fish right now... & that's too big to start, since everything else has been coming in as babies

Holy moly $115!!! I've not heard of that store so can't really comment but if I was in the US I'd be looking at Tangled Up In Cichlids and Cichlids of the Americas, legendary cichlid sources - in the UK big groups of us used to club together to bring £1000 shipments over to people who had fish houses then they would get distributed out, unfortunately, that network has sort of collapsed since some people have shut their fish houses but it gives you an idea of the prestige of these places.

The article you linked has a lot of good stuff but I disagree with the bit where they think everything is a split of Efasciatus - the bit they dismiss about the separate species is actually very valid and the distribution of them in the hobby is getting more and more common. I had a Liberifer for many years, before they were classed as Liberifer - they used to be the true Heros Severus, really amazing fish she was about 8 inches and I started her in a 240 litre but eventually got her into a 500 litre and it made a big difference.

In a 55 I dont think a Severum would be my first choice as you'd get more from smaller species that will really thrive in that space.

Wills

Thank you everyone for your advice! This may be random, but I put together this stocking list. Any tips and warning welcomed!

x1 angelfish - I love angelfish, but I felt 6 was too many, and that they may not get along in the future.

x6 German Blue Rams - I heard these get along well with angelfish, despite the fact that they too are cichlids.

x6 Hoplo Catfish - was going to go for cories, but want to try something new.

x6 Red Rainbowfish -
I’m slightly concerned about the temperature here; I believe they prefer colder water, like 77 and below, but I’m planning on having the tank at around 80 degrees.

x6 Roseline Sharks - last but not least, the rose line shark. A small, supposedly peaceful shark to hopefully get along with the angelfish.

Perhaps some flame tetras, but now that this is a stocking list with bigger fish, they may be a bit to small.

German blue rams need high temperatures. You could switch the rams for another dwarf cichlid like apistogramma, keyholes, Bolivian rams, or even African butterfly cichlids. That would allow for a more normal temperature of water.

Thank you for your advice! I’ll probably do the apostogramma pair, 5 keyhole cichlids, and the rest of the stocking list.

Most reactions

Back