55 gal tank noobie

Fishboy17

Reaction score
I'm buying the 55 gallon deluxe kit at wal mart. What would be a good selection of fish for a noob. :D

I'm too tired to come up with a set up for a 55 gallon, but I wanted to remind you to cycle your tank before adding fish. :)

Ok, good :)
I'm assuming you're going for a community tank?
Are you looking for a large number of fish? or just a couple of big ones?

Raise triops in it.

*decides she'll just start suggesting that for all large tank stocking plans, to see how long before someone takes her seriously :D )

KeddyPie said:
Raise triops in it.

*decides she'll just start suggesting that for all large tank stocking plans, to see how long before someone takes her seriously :D )
[snapback]882666[/snapback]​

omg, i just looked those up on google. They're like, real life, living, breathing, monsters! ARGH!

LOL Great! Will be having nightmares tonight! Those things are scarey LOL.. I mean to each his own, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.. Love all creatures, blah blah blah... but *RUNS AWAY SCREAMING* :crazy:

KeddyPie said:
Raise triops in it.

[snapback]882666[/snapback]​

my 11 year old daughter tried raising them & only 1 hatched when it died she buried it in garden with a little cross & everything, but u right they very scary. this thing even had a name can't remember wot it was now thou lol

Fishboy17 said:
So yeah, anyone have some good ideas for me :)
[snapback]883365[/snapback]​

What are you looking for in a tank? A 55 is a very flexible size and you can do a number of tank setups.

You said you want lots of fish (as opposed to 1 Jack Dempsey for example)...

Do you want a peaceful community? Semi-aggressive?
A calm, placid tank? A fury of activity?
Plants? Rocks? Wood?

Are there any specific fish that appeal to you? Often it's best to pick a fish you really like and want and then design the tank and inhabitants around it.

Hope that get things started for you... :thumbs:

tetra :) one of my fravoit set up as community tank. And every community tank will have to have this fish. 15xcardinal/5xneon/10xrummy nose tetra will give u a beautiful view alone with live plants and driftwood in ur 55g tank

modernhamlet said:
Fishboy17 said:
So yeah, anyone have some good ideas for me :)
[snapback]883365[/snapback]​

What are you looking for in a tank? A 55 is a very flexible size and you can do a number of tank setups.

You said you want lots of fish (as opposed to 1 Jack Dempsey for example)...

Do you want a peaceful community? Semi-aggressive?
A calm, placid tank? A fury of activity?
Plants? Rocks? Wood?

Are there any specific fish that appeal to you? Often it's best to pick a fish you really like and want and then design the tank and inhabitants around it.

Hope that get things started for you... :thumbs:
[snapback]883376[/snapback]​

I want a peaceful community. umm i dont know about plants, rocks, wood, ill add whatever the fish need ? lol

Fishboy17 said:
I want a peaceful community. umm i dont know about plants, rocks, wood, ill add whatever the fish need ? lol
[snapback]883493[/snapback]​
http://faq.thekrib.com/fish-popular.html

Lists some some good advice for selecting and keeping your first fish. Lists both good beginner fish and BAD beginner fish.

There are just so many things you can do with a 55g in the "peaceful community" category. Come up with an idea or two and I'll be happy to help flesh it out...

It's your tank, it has to be what YOU want.

Good luck. :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back