5 gallon shrimp tank

Benji k

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just set up a 5 gallon tank planing on being all moss for shrimp I have susswasertag and java moss how long do you reckon it should take for moss to grow out to be bueatifull and lush
Here’s my inspiration photo
BFC03F1D-307D-4C92-984E-E4749F3AB790.jpeg

Well you can do one of two things. First plant the heck out of it initially as susswasertang is a little slower growing.
Second is to set the tank up without shrimp for a few months and use a shrimp safe fertilizer ( I know Thrive sells one) and a good 8-10 hour light regimen to encourage growth. Shrimp thrive in established tanks so I would give it at least a month before you add them anyway.

I haven't had susswassertang before, but I know that moss grows alongside algae well... so make sure to pull out algae from moss every once in a while, and make sure to dose enough minerals and have enough biomass in there. I recommend some pest snails. they are clean, small, and have a little biomass that is similar to a shrimp.
also lay out some rocks that the moss can anchor to, so there is a better base for them to start growing out on.

I love subwassertang. I got a little bit in a shipment of shrimp and after an initial slow start, it is growing pretty fast now. Slower than moss but is is easier to control and I have it in 3 tanks now. Took maybe 4 weeks before it took off.

Well you can do one of two things. First plant the heck out of it initially as susswasertang is a little slower growing.
Second is to set the tank up without shrimp for a few months and use a shrimp safe fertilizer ( I know Thrive sells one) and a good 8-10 hour light regimen to encourage growth. Shrimp thrive in established tanks so I would give it at least a month before you add them anyway.
I have about 3 handfuls of susswasertang in ther and it’s only a 5 gallon I’m gonna let it grow out for a little while and leave the light on for 8-10 and use some ferts like what you said

I haven't had susswassertang before, but I know that moss grows alongside algae well... so make sure to pull out algae from moss every once in a while, and make sure to dose enough minerals and have enough biomass in there. I recommend some pest snails. they are clean, small, and have a little biomass that is similar to a shrimp.
also lay out some rocks that the moss can anchor to, so there is a better base for them to start growing out on.
Ok thanks for the help

I love subwassertang. I got a little bit in a shipment of shrimp and after an initial slow start, it is growing pretty fast now. Slower than moss but is is easier to control and I have it in 3 tanks now. Took maybe 4 weeks before it took off.
Wow that sounds great do you have any lights or anything you recommend

Most reactions

Back