4Th Week In Fishless Cycle Help With Nitrate Reading

pdludbrooke

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am in my 4th week, my ammonia is being gobbled up in 12 hours no probs, haven't seen the nitrIte go down at all yet, done several water changes inbetween, my question and ask for help is to do with nitrAte, I checked today my tap water and tank readings are Tap = 40ppm and Tank 20ppm ??
I have used seachem prime as my water treatment. Is this correct, I need to see an increase in nitrAtes ?

I am in my 4th week, my ammonia is being gobbled up in 12 hours no probs, haven't seen the nitrIte go down at all yet, done several water changes inbetween, my question and ask for help is to do with nitrAte, I checked today my tap water and tank readings are Tap = 40ppm and Tank 20ppm ??
I have used seachem prime as my water treatment. Is this correct, I need to see an increase in nitrAtes ?

Are you using API Master Test Kit? If so you must shake regent #2 vigorously for 2 minutes. This assures accuracy.

Don't worry about nitrates too much. Once you see Nitrite start going down and nitrates start going up it will be a good sign.

Are you using API Master Test Kit? If so you must shake regent #2 vigorously for 2 minutes. This assures accuracy.

Don't worry about nitrates too much. Once you see Nitrite start going down and nitrates start going up it will be a good sign.
using API test kit and Trust me I banged that bottle 2, and have just tested again with another tank I am cycling 2 weeks in, the test results are the same, both tank water have 20 ppm nitrAtes and tap water is 40 ppm, is it the seachem reducing the NitrAtes ?

using API test kit and Trust me I banged that bottle 2, and have just tested again with another tank I am cycling 2 weeks in, the test results are the same, both tank water have 20 ppm nitrAtes and tap water is 40 ppm.

To be honest that is a good thing lol. I don't know what to tell you. You don't need nitrates. The cycle is complete once you see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Lower nitrates is always good. You just want to make sure its above 10ppm while cycling to assure you have something being produced from the bacteria (being converted from nitrites). 20ppm is good and safe.

Nitrates are only a good thing when you have live plants
I'm going to have to get some plants, my nitrAtes from tap are 37 ppm according to the water company and 40ppm from API test kit, but, I am still a bit at a miss, as I checked 1 week after I started my cycle in the first tank for nitrAtes and they were still the same as my tap, now 4 weeks along in my 4 week tank and my 2 week tank they are down to 20ppm, the tap water still 40ppm (API) When will the bloody nitrItes go down AHHHHH
What is causeing the drop in NitrAtes ?
Is it the seachem prime ?

Nitrates are only a good thing when you have live plants
I'm going to have to get some plants, my nitrAtes from tap are 37 ppm according to the water company and 40ppm from API test kit, but, I am still a bit at a miss, as I checked 1 week after I started my cycle in the first tank for nitrAtes and they were still the same as my tap, now 4 weeks along in my 4 week tank and my 2 week tank they are down to 20ppm, the tap water still 40ppm (API) When will the bloody nitrItes go down AHHHHH
What is causeing the drop in NitrAtes ?
Is it the seachem prime ?
If so it's good stuff!!

When I buy fertilizers to add to my tank, I buy nitrate salts, not ammonia for the plants. Plants will definitely use ammonia, as the farmers around here all know, but they also will make good use of nitrates.
Do not worry too much about your nitrate reading if you have plants. You are shooting for zero ammonia and zero nitrites at 12 hours after a dose of ammonia. If you are in the nitrite spike, I would suggest a reduction of your ammonia dose to only 2 ppm and maybe even do a huge water change to start the nitrite spike from scratch. Lower nitrite levels seem to help at that stage.

When I buy fertilizers to add to my tank, I buy nitrate salts, not ammonia for the plants. Plants will definitely use ammonia, as the farmers around here all know, but they also will make good use of nitrates.
Do not worry too much about your nitrate reading if you have plants. You are shooting for zero ammonia and zero nitrites at 12 hours after a dose of ammonia. If you are in the nitrite spike, I would suggest a reduction of your ammonia dose to only 2 ppm and maybe even do a huge water change to start the nitrite spike from scratch. Lower nitrite levels seem to help at that stage.
Thanks, I will cheers!!

Most reactions

Back