48x12x12 ideas (no plant options?!)

Caspino

Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm new to the hobby.
I'm currently in a Fishless cycle (day9)

Tank size (120x30x30cm or 48x12x12 for those in the colonies 😉)

I'm in northern England (UK) with water parameters of
PH 6.8 to 7.2
Hardness 2.3 Clarke (vSoft)
Very low metals, alu, iron, etc.

In not adverse to looking after a few plants but I simply don't like the look.

I'd go for a multi tank but altering the water and going species only feels limiting.

My water appears to suit SAmerican, but blackwater or heavy planted isn't my thing.

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly welcome.

I have a very fine gravel (not quite sand) substrate.
No decoration yet.
1000l/h canister. Coarse medium fine, then 2kg of biohome ultimate. Purigen in a drawer for if/when it's needed.

Stocking ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Initial thoughts from me
Pygmy Cory's, apisto pair, tetra school.

I'm very open to suggestions

You have many options, given the water parameters and tank size; with or without plants, though something as simple as floating plants would be a real benefit not only for the fish (forest fish do not appreciate overhead light that is bright, and the tank light is "bright" without floating plants), but also incredible water quality benefits.

The lower water could have chunks of bogwood, branches, etc, maybe dried leaves. This is the main habitat in much of South America. The substrate should be sand, especially for cories, but not knowing what your "fine gravel" is, this may or may not be an issue.

I would not recommend Corydoras pygmaeus in this large a tank, they tend to get "lost." The average-sized species, depending upon the substrate, are worth considering. You could have shoals of more than one tetra, aiming to fill the different levels so all the fish are not in the bottom third of the tank or whatever.

You have many options, given the water parameters and tank size; with or without plants, though something as simple as floating plants would be a real benefit not only for the fish (forest fish do not appreciate overhead light that is bright, and the tank light is "bright" without floating plants), but also incredible water quality benefits.

The lower water could have chunks of bogwood, branches, etc, maybe dried leaves. This is the main habitat in much of South America. The substrate should be sand, especially for cories, but not knowing what your "fine gravel" is, this may or may not be an issue.

I would not recommend Corydoras pygmaeus in this large a tank, they tend to get "lost." The average-sized species, depending upon the substrate, are worth considering. You could have shoals of more than one tetra, aiming to fill the different levels so all the fish are not in the bottom third of the tank or whatever.
Cheers for the reply. I've been reading on floating plants since my post, appears there are benefits on that front. I might have to make my peace with the aesthetic.

Leaf litter and a mangrove looking root could look cool.

I'll look at alternatives to the pygmys.

Most reactions

Back