40L stocking advice, newbie

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seaneylad

Reaction score
Good Morning all!

After some advice on a 40L tank I have set up and currently cycling. haven't kept fish for years so I cant remember much so doing a lot of research.

I am after some advice on a 40L stocking set up, probably end up getting my fish from Pets4Home, not ideal but its due to my location

4 x Guppies
4 x Chilli Rasboras
4 x Dwarf Coradoras

And possible shrimp or a snail? as tank is too small for Plec

Does that sound okay?

Or if someone can help with advice on some fish and numbers for the tank which maybe available from pets4home

Thanks all
:)

Looking at stock in shops, (normally stocked)

Could possible go:

4 x assorted danios
4 x platy fish
4 x while cloud mountain minnows

2-3 x amano shrimp or snail?

Any ideas? Thanks

Before we can offer any advice, we need to know how hard your tap water is. Look on your water company's website for hardness; we need a number and the unit of measurement rather than some vague words (we need the unit as UK water companies tend to use different units from fish keeping units)

Your two lists contain both soft water and hard water fish, so whichever list you go from, one or other type will not be happy.

Looking at your second list (danios, platies white clouds) I'm afraid this is not an option as a 40 litre tank (10 gallon) is too small for any of these species. Just for completion, both danios and white clouds are shoaling fish which need to be in a group of at least 6 of the same species.

The first list is more suitable to the tank tank size. But guppies are hard water fish while chili rasboras and cories are soft water fish. Chili rasboras are another shoaling species which do better in large numbers so at least 10 would be needed. But these fish need soft water so if your water is hard, they would not live long.
The dwarf cory species (Corydoras pygmeus, C. hastatus and C. habrosus) also need soft water and a group of at least 10.
If you have hard water, guppies, or endlers, are fine. But males only or the tank would become overstocked in no time. Since both guppies and endlers come in many colours and patterns, a tank with only one species would look good.

You mention buying from Pets@Home - be aware that the advice you'll get from there will probably be terrible. Don't take any notice of anything they say.

One final point - how are you cycling the tank? This is the best method, if you haven't found it already

What is the hardness of your water. It should be on your provider's website. We need the unit and the number.

The reason for the question is rasboras, corydoras and danios all need soft water. Guppies and platies need hard water. The minnows are not a good idea with tropical fish as they are temperate fish and need cooler water.

Add more than 4 danios add like 6 because they like to be in big groups but i like the fish ideas that you hsve for your tank.

Unfortunately, danios (and platies and white clouds) are too big and active for a 40 litre/10 gallon tank. Despite their small size, danios need a tank at least 100 cm/36 inches long because of their swimming behaviour.

Looking at stock in shops, (normally stocked)

Could possible go:

4 x assorted danios
4 x platy fish
4 x while cloud mountain minnows

2-3 x amano shrimp or snail?

Any ideas? Thanks
Good Morning all!

After some advice on a 40L tank I have set up and currently cycling. haven't kept fish for years so I cant remember much so doing a lot of research.

I am after some advice on a 40L stocking set up, probably end up getting my fish from Pets4Home, not ideal but its due to my location

4 x Guppies
4 x Chilli Rasboras
4 x Dwarf Coradoras

And possible shrimp or a snail? as tank is too small for Plec

Does that sound okay?

Or if someone can help with advice on some fish and numbers for the tank which maybe available from pets4home

Thanks all
:)
40L could be perfect for a pair of dwarf pufferfish maybe, but this would most likely mean you will need a species only tank, other than maybe the amano shrimp. If you plan to buy live bearers take in to consideration the male to female ratio and try to have one, or no males to x amount of females.

Most reactions

Back