33 gallon stocking ideas

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishlover1N

Reaction score
I have recently got a fluval roma 125 which is 33 gallons. This is my first larger tank so I'm not sure what to stock it with.

I'm thinking a south american themed tank and this is what I have so far:
-7x panda cories
-7x marbled hatchet fish
-2x apistogramma cacatuoides

The temp is 25 Celsius (77 farenheit), pH is 7.5 and water hardness is 10dGH. Is this suitable stocking and is there anything else I could add or is it fully stocked?

I'd avoid apistos with cories in a tank that small, especially a larger cockatoo apisto. They're often territorial and cories don't understand territory and are sitting ducks for aggression. Cockatoos can be more aggressive at times as well.

I'd choose one or the other in this particular case, with the exception of perhaps apistogramma borelli who is a lot more agreeable, but is still bossy at times. But, would be less of a problem towards the cories and is much smaller.

If you went panda cories or apistogramma borelli, also reduce your temperature lower, they do prefer cooler temperatures. A nice 74F would work.

You'd have to use RO to lower your GH as well for the hatchets, marbled hatchets need softer water, below 150GH. They won't thrive as long in harder water.

If hatchets are an interest to you, perhaps opt for the silver hatchet instead, it'll do better in your GH

I'd avoid apistos with cories in a tank that small, especially a larger cockatoo apisto. They're often territorial and cories don't understand territory and are sitting ducks for aggression. Cockatoos can be more aggressive at times as well.

I'd choose one or the other in this particular case, with the exception of perhaps apistogramma borelli who is a lot more agreeable, but is still bossy at times. But, would be less of a problem towards the cories and is much smaller.

If you went panda cories or apistogramma borelli, also reduce your temperature lower, they do prefer cooler temperatures. A nice 74F would work.

You'd have to use RO to lower your GH as well for the hatchets, marbled hatchets need softer water, below 150GH. They won't thrive as long in harder water.

If hatchets are an interest to you, perhaps opt for the silver hatchet instead, it'll do better in your GH

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like silver hatchets would work better then. I think I might switch out the apistos for some tetras or something.

Lemon tetras would be a good choice, or pristella tetras. Both have a wider range of parameters and temperature, and would work well with both cories and hatchets. Look washed out in stores, but they look good in dim setups and have very agreeable personalities

Most reactions

Back