3 Wrong Buys Help Needed,

stevek77

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all i need help to some links what everyone recommends, heres my tank My link
now im trying to convert it to my 1st ever marine, so after reading and asking questions i knew i needed a powerhead/wavemaker so i went and bought this

1......My link tried it in my tank and it blew everything away and looked huge!!!, 1st mistake far to big, so what do i need size wise and poss make?.

so then protein skimmer so came across this.

2......My link then read up and found it to be rubbish!!!!!!!! 2nd mistake

so found this

3.....My link whic i thought i'd done ok with but then the guys at the lfs shop said they can be fiddly not an ideal starter skimmer and as it hangs on the back prob not ideal in a corner tank..... DUH :crazy: , they said i could convert the back part of the lid where the filter system used to be and fit an internal skimmer so only the cup sits in the lid which did sound so much better/easier,

so im not doing very well so before i bankrupt myself on buying the WRONG stuff can people please tell me what i SHOULD get,
i need.....

1. powerhead/wavemaker suitable for my tank,
2. skimmer
3, lighting (pls bulbs fitted) i can get marine or marine/white combo
i only intend to keep fish not to interested in corals and the only filtration i was going to be fiji live rock and a skimmer,
any help please :good: :good: :good: :good:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok firstly where did you have the pump situated? When I first put twin tunze streams rated much, much higher than that into a 4 foot tank I thought the same. It turned out to be just the detritus that had settled into the live rock and cleared up after a couple of days. I also had to reposition it so that it wasn't pointing down at the sand. I had to position it so that it was pointed from near the base on one side and pumped towards the surface at the other. IMO it is impossible to have too much flow in a tank - remember many of the corals live on a reef with very powerful waves breaking over them. (even though you don't want coral the live rock will still appreciate it)

I have no knowledge of either of those skimmers that you chose - as I said in your other thread I always used aquamedic or deltec and both functioned perfectly. What was wrong with the first one? Did it not produce any skimmate? If so did you remember that they can take a while to 'bed in' and develop a coating on the inside of the tube that helps produce the gunk? Also did you try removing the sponge of the intake pump? There could be other things that you need to check so please tell us what the problem is before you rush out and spend more.

As for lighting - if you aren't intending to keep coral then just choose a bulb that is pleasing to your eye as the fish don't require a specific light intensity like coral does.

Ok firstly where did you have the pump situated? When I first put twin tunze streams rated much, much higher than that into a 4 foot tank I thought the same. It turned out to be just the detritus that had settled into the live rock and cleared up after a couple of days. I also had to reposition it so that it wasn't pointing down at the sand. I had to position it so that it was pointed from near the base on one side and pumped towards the surface at the other. IMO it is impossible to have too much flow in a tank - remember many of the corals live on a reef with very powerful waves breaking over them. (even though you don't want coral the live rock will still appreciate it)

I have no knowledge of either of those skimmers that you chose - as I said in your other thread I always used aquamedic or deltec and both functioned perfectly. What was wrong with the first one? Did it not produce any skimmate? If so did you remember that they can take a while to 'bed in' and develop a coating on the inside of the tube that helps produce the gunk? Also did you try removing the sponge of the intake pump? There could be other things that you need to check so please tell us what the problem is before you rush out and spend more.

As for lighting - if you aren't intending to keep coral then just choose a bulb that is pleasing to your eye as the fish don't require a specific light intensity like coral does.

thankyou,
the powerhead was near the top pointing down and it blew all the sand away to reveal the glass :no: also it wobbled alot i think its meant to to that tho? as its a vibration powerhead? so it actually made the sand hole bigger, i dont know where i can put it really as its quite large and because its a corner tank i can only put it on 2 sides so i figured it was to large, the biopro skimmer i didnt even set up i read the review after i bought it and everyone said it was rubbish, no skim even after mods, and the vs skim like i said lfs said does work but its fiddly as to how much air you let into the chamber and as to how high/low it sits on the tank and apparantly its quite noisy :-(

The powerhead vibrates?? I guess im quite unfamiliar with this. When I first put my powerheads in I got some sand movement, but I eventually got it set up where I want it. Position is purely preference and you will see how it affects your livestock/fish as you get them in the tank too. And you will change where they are. It happens.

-Tyler

Most reactions

Back