29 Gallon Lighting?

Paavn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I am just starting to get into plants and i was wondering what you guys would recommend for my 29 gallon tank.
i was looking for medium lighting levels and wanted to have the lunar lights as well.

currently i just have a tube light that says its 17w, the fixture says its 20w 60hz fixture.
am i going to have to change it if i want to grow plants?

I'm just starting out with lighting but what I have been using is the 'watts per gallon rule'

1WPG = Low Lighting
2WPG= Medium Lighting
3WPG = Medium to High
4WPG> = High lighting

Im currently using a 40watt fitting to run a lamp that apparetnyl gives out 18,000kelvin. It is definately low lighting as my plants have stopped growing as quickly as they were when the sun was shining on them.

I'd say that if you have 29 gal tank and you are looking for medium lighting> 29 (gal) x 2 (WPG for medium lighting) = 58. So, You would want to use 58 watts with lights giving out a good light specturm.

As I say, I am a total novice with lighting and will be making another 40w fixture to go on my tank. I am running a 33gal and want med to high lighting.

Have a look on the forum stickies and other poeples posts. There is so much detail you can go into when it comes to lighting, so much that it seems quite a daunting and expensive task. Have a look at some of the DIY projects and you can save ALOT of money on lighting systems rather than forking out £100's just for a hood and light.

Hope this helps

Those measurements are from an old sticky that not many of us go by these days. Good as a general guide though.

2WPG T8/1.5WPG T5 is plenty but will need pressurised CO2 to beat algae. 1.5WPG T8 /1WPG T5 is enough without pressurised.

No real need to go any higher unless you want turbo growth!!!

The slow growth is more than likely due to the 18000K light!!! Does it have a reflector? Plants will grow faster in sunlight because sunlight is like 1000WPG!!!! Algae will also grow too because with the power of sunlight it is nigh on impossible to keep on top of CO2 and will require large dosing!!!

Stick to tubes between 4000 and 10000K

AC

there is the coralife fresh water T-5 tubes. one pink and one blue in there. if i get two of them would that be too much? cause if i understand the description below i would be getting 72W or 2.5 WPG. if its a lighting fixture and has polished reflectors does that increase the watts per gallon?

would this one be better?
i wanted to get the moon lights/LED's as well

Includes: one 65 watt 10,000K Daylight and one 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue compact lamps as well as two 3/4 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED lamps. Lamps are straight pin arrangement. Also features 3 on/off switches with 3 8 foot power cords for seperate timers. Built in ballasts, 2 cooling fans. Dimensions: 30" x 7" x 2.5".

Most reactions

Back