🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chrystalsterns

Reaction score
My first fish tank.

Attachments

• 15880398634181797831864190030365.jpg
    15880398634181797831864190030365.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 306
Put a picture on the back of the tank and give the fish some sunglasses :)

My first fish tank.
Very pretty! How many glofish do you have in the tank and how big is it?

I just started a 10 gallon with my little girl. She has 4 glofish tetras. We are hoping to get a 5th soon but our LFS hasn't gotten the color she wants in stock. They are doing okay but I'm thinking they really need at least one more. And I wish I would've gotten a bigger tank!

@mrsjoannh13 nothing like an Xmas upgrade hahaha (I have been keeping an eye on black friday sales and it looks like there are some good deals to be had on ~30g kits)

@mrsjoannh13 nothing like an Xmas upgrade hahaha (I have been keeping an eye on black friday sales and it looks like there are some good deals to be had on ~30g kits)
Yes, I think the little fishies might need a 15 gallon. I'm not sure I could fit 20g on my daughter's desk and that's really the only spot in her room for the tank. But I think a 50% space upgrade would still be beneficial for Princess, Lil Angel, Lemon Drop and Spikes (and a new green friend whenever the LFS stocks them again).

These tetras get pretty large. 2 inches, sometimes up to 3 inches.
If you go with a 15gal (still a bit small for them, but) itd have to be just the 5-6 tetras and nothing else added.

Welcome to the joys of falling into the trap of buying a tank for your kid only to fall in love with the hobby :p started with a 10g horribly stocked community for our son, now at 10 tanks and breeding some fish too.

These tetras get pretty large. 2 inches, sometimes up to 3 inches.
If you go with a 15gal (still a bit small for them, but) itd have to be just the 5-6 tetras and nothing else added.

Welcome to the joys of falling into the trap of buying a tank for your kid only to fall in love with the hobby :p started with a 10g horribly stocked community for our son, now at 10 tanks and breeding some fish too.
Well at least I have (I think) learned my lesson. Planning on my next tank for my home office and I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 20 gallon. Planning on 6 corydoras and 1 male betta. I might go a little bigger to add some mid-tank fish - neon tetras or rummynose. Still undecided on that part and it might depend on how big a tank I can put in my study. My daughter is already drawing aquascape designs for my tank - lord help me LOL!

Awesome, awesome!!! I may have roped hubby into this hobby inadvertently as well, I showed up on Friday with 150lbs of substrate that I was about to start setting up to wash and he was like "wait, you're using THAT?!?" And my response was that if mister doesn't like it, mister can choose a different substrate himself, and all of a sudden he is completely interested in the driftwood, and has told me that we are going to go for a "south american biotope" look! Lol, I'm just excited that this is turning into a shared hobby!

Awesome, awesome!!! I may have roped hubby into this hobby inadvertently as well, I showed up on Friday with 150lbs of substrate that I was about to start setting up to wash and he was like "wait, you're using THAT?!?" And my response was that if mister doesn't like it, mister can choose a different substrate himself, and all of a sudden he is completely interested in the driftwood, and has told me that we are going to go for a "south american biotope" look! Lol, I'm just excited that this is turning into a shared hobby!
My husband went (reluctantly) with me to our area's one local fish store to get some supplies for my daughter's tank. In the store was this beautiful (LARGE) tank and he fell in love with it. He can't stop talking about where in the house should we put it and the types of fish he wants in it (he doesn't know names yet, just knows he wants a big school of the same type of fish). We have all been infected!

There is no cure for MTS (multiple tank syndrome :D). But a word of advice to save you from the drop to reality from the "lust" stage: a couple of months ago when I was thinking of getting back into the aquarium hobby after my 15+ year hiatus, I had some very serious conversations with hubby about what is realistic from a maintenance perspective vs not realistic. Our conclusion was that with our lifestyle and kids etc, it made sense to try and look at this hobby from the perspective of "how can we get the most visual return for the least effort". That thinking process resulted in us making some big decisions on tank size etc that really set the tone and theme for what kinds and how many of fish we will keep.

Our criteria basically were: 1) Chasing down a toddler and with me back in school next year (taking a gap year currently due to covid daycare challenges), I will be able to keep up with every two week water changes (slipping to monthly during crazy times), but weekly water changes are not going to be a reality. 2) If we go through the effort of setting up a tank, it better look like something too 3) The fish and plants we get need to be affordable, but also not require any specialty treatment, which means that they need to match our water parameters and not have special diets/other requirements.

What this basically resulted in us deciding was to do a 125 gallon tank in the den (lol. we started off thinking I was just going to set up a 40g to amuse our toddler haha), and that we are going to overfilter it and understock it, and try to have plants. If we have the stocking levels of a 75g in a 125g, it gives us a bit of wiggle room with water parameters and delays the onset of "Old Tank Syndrome", hopefully preventing problems down the line if life takes over one week and the scheduled water change gets delayed.

A heads up for you since you're in the US: check out petsmart and petco for their current sales, I know petco is currently doing a "dollar per gallon" sale on fish tanks (but they only go up to a certain size), and Petsmart has some of their kits on sale currently as well as it looks like their ad says they are going to be doing a 50% reduction on their 60g tank+stand combo (but I don't personally love the dimensions of that).

We ended up buying our stand on craigslist, and there are also great deals to be had on tanks there as well (I ended up scoring a deal on a new tank so that made me happy).

One more thought: if you do go with a larger tank, make sure that the floor joists are perpendicular instead of parallel to wherever you are thinking of placing it (starts to matter after ~60g), and the best placement would be to put it near one of those iron bar things that go across the basement that the joists are hooked into, or next to an exterior wall since that will also take immediate load off the joists (assuming you have a basement or a foundation on your crawl space). If you are on a slab with no crawlspace, then go to town and put it anywhere! lol.

Most reactions

Back