25L Tank stocking ideas

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have recently transferred some puffers from a 25L to a 60L and I now have a free tank, any good ideas of what to put in there?
I was thinking maybe two African Dwarf Frogs, a few shrimps and maybe a Betta, but I am open to any ideas. They can be non-fish also.

I would not keep frogs with a betta (or any other fish come to that). I did once and never again.

Frogs are almost blind, they find their food by smell. By the time they located it, the betta had eaten the lot. I tried all sorts of ways to keep the betta away from the frogs' food, but he always found a way. And being almost blind, if they see movement, frogs assume it is food. I found my betta with a frog clamped to his tail - he was swimming round frantically trying to dislodge it. I had to set up my quarantine tank (splitting the media) and move the frogs.

Shrimps can be hit and miss. My last two bettas lived quite happily with cherry shrimps; my current one ate them so I moved the survivors in to my main tank. With my last but one betta, I had an ever increasing shrimp population so he obviously ignored baby shrimps as well as adults; the last betta ate babies even though he left adults alone.

25 litres is fine for a betta and maybe a nerite snail. Or a couple of African dwarf frogs. Or a shrimp colony.

If you decide on frogs, ignore sites that say they live on nothing but bloodworm. As with fish, these should only be a treat. There are commercial frog foods which are better as the main diet. I used Zoo Med Aquatic Frog & Tadpole food.

I would not keep frogs with a betta (or any other fish come to that). I did once and never again.

Frogs are almost blind, they find their food by smell. By the time they located it, the betta had eaten the lot. I tried all sorts of ways to keep the betta away from the frogs' food, but he always found a way. And being almost blind, if they see movement, frogs assume it is food. I found my betta with a frog clamped to his tail - he was swimming round frantically trying to dislodge it. I had to set up my quarantine tank (splitting the media) and move the frogs.

Shrimps can be hit and miss. My last two bettas lived quite happily with cherry shrimps; my current one ate them so I moved the survivors in to my main tank. With my last but one betta, I had an ever increasing shrimp population so he obviously ignored baby shrimps as well as adults; the last betta ate babies even though he left adults alone.

25 litres is fine for a betta and maybe a nerite snail. Or a couple of African dwarf frogs. Or a shrimp colony.

If you decide on frogs, ignore sites that say they live on nothing but bloodworm. As with fish, these should only be a treat. There are commercial frog foods which are better as the main diet. I used Zoo Med Aquatic Frog & Tadpole food.
I’m not so sure about ADFs they seem a little.... boring maybe they don’t move around much so I was looking for something else that will also roam the tank so I’m thinking no frogs. I was also considering micro rasbora as they seem like they would do well in there, and they are quite active.

One of the Boraras species would be fine on their own - not with a betta (just in case that's what you were thinking) as the betta would probably try and eat them.

With these small fish, you'd need at least 10 of them and lots of decor as they are nervous fish in bare-ish tanks.

One of the Boraras species would be fine on their own - not with a betta (just in case that's what you were thinking) as the betta would probably try and eat them.

With these small fish, you'd need at least 10 of them and lots of decor as they are nervous fish in bare-ish tanks.
Sounds like I might go with them. Yeah no betta, but i’m going to look into some types boraras more, thanks for the great advice! :)

Knowing the source water parameters (GH and pH specifically) will help us, as "nano" fish are usually wild and thus have less adaptability.

Most reactions

Back