240l Upstairs?

tom_os

fish
Reaction score
my house is georgian i believe so quite old but in the room where i want the 240l tank it had a new wodden floor put down about 3 years ago

the tank will be up against 2 brick walls if that matters

do you think it will be ok, the decor will be wood and plants so nothing too heavy

cheers

my house is georgian i believe so quite old but in the room where i want the 240l tank it had a new wodden floor put down about 3 years ago

the tank will be up against 2 brick walls if that matters

do you think it will be ok, the decor will be wood and plants so nothing too heavy

cheers

get 4 average sized people to stand in the space you want it, if they don't fall through the floor you should be good to go :)

but thats useless. its not the initial weight that will be the problem, it is the long term effect and you cant have people standing there for a year or more.

you want the tank to run across floor joists not run along them. this way you can spread the weight. Get one of your parents to find out what way the floor joists go.

How long is the tank? How deep?

Weight wise, longer is better, it help spread the weight over multiple floor joists.

if your in doubt you need to get a structural engineer in..... i've only got a 60litre tank and even that worries me having it upstairs!!!

1litre = 1kilo so

240litre = 240kilo.... thats a lot of weight over a very small area!!

if your in doubt you need to get a structural engineer in..... i've only got a 60litre tank and even that worries me having it upstairs!!!

1litre = 1kilo so

240litre = 240kilo.... thats a lot of weight over a very small area!!
it will be more if you have rock etc. i have a 120L upstaris and thats fine with a 40L next to it.

but thats useless. its not the initial weight that will be the problem, it is the long term effect and you cant have people standing there for a year or more.

Really? so how are you going to know the long term effect until you load the floor with that weight and wait a year??

fisses said:
So only 1 person is allowed upstairs in your house at any one time :blink:

No the main worry for me is the fact if my tank cracks or anything liek that i'll end up with 60litres of water running down the floorboards and runining wuite a large area that may not be covered by insurance.

you should be fine with a large tank, but with you having an old house i strongly suggest a structural engineer!!

Really? so how are you going to know the long term effect until you load the floor with that weight and wait a year??

fisses said:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_load

These matters can be considerable and should be investigated when in any doubt.

fisses said:

See <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_load" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_load</a>

These matters can be considerable and should be investigated when in any doubt.

Lol, yea Wikipedia will come and lift a floorboard to check the joist.......................................................................

I hope tom os noted the hint of sarcasm in my reply which i had hoped was reflected with a smiley... but a structural engineer will be what £300 min, ok if he is happy to pay that for piece if mind then great go for it, but my way is as good as any answer he will get on here bar lifting a floorboard and measuring the joists and if you all want to do that for a 240l in a georgian house upstairs(he has also stated it will be in a corner!) then cool, i wouldn't.

If i ownded a Georgian house, i would 100% be gettin a structural engineer in!!!

i know you say its the same thing as having a few people all stood in the same place, but its long term damage it could cause.

I agree with Fisses.
It's better to be safe than sorry.

240ltrs is usually not enough the break a floor but over time it can make it sag...if it does, your stand will become unlevel and then your tank can crack.

better safe than sorry. you may find out your floor will withstand so much more, but its the WHAT IFS that youve got to consider.

p.s as marcan said, its the sagging effect it could possibly create, which will also effect the ceiling underneath and worse still the integrity of the whole building depending on supporting walls etc etc

Most reactions

Back