20 Gallon Stocking

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Malachi Muthiah

Reaction score
I have a fully cycled 20 gallon tank. It has a background of vallisneria and then a full carpet of dwarf hair grass. For fish, I was thinking of getting neon tetras, honey gouramis, amano shrimp, and/or otocinclus. Would it work to have 15 neon tetras, 2 honey gouramis, 4 amano shrimp and 4 otocinclus?

I have a fully cycled 20 gallon tank. It has a background of vallisneria and then a full carpet of dwarf hair grass. For fish, I was thinking of getting neon tetras, honey gouramis, amano shrimp, and/or otocinclus. Would it work to have 15 neon tetras, 2 honey gouramis, 4 amano shrimp and 4 otocinclus?
What are your water parameters? Sounds about right if they fit the fish. I'd get 6 otos, and get them after about 2 months of the tank running with everything else in it. They are caught wild, and are often almost starved to death by the time they are bought. They need a lot of bio film to eat while they get used to eating algae wafers.

Personally, I think that's a lot.
I suggest getting the tetras established first and see how they settle in, and you can think about it while you wait. Then if they all thrive you can consider your next move.

Perhaps. They'd compete and the shrimp would multiply like crazy. I've never kept shrimp though so I don't know how this would go down.
Amano won't multiply, they need brackish water, although the female will get eggs.
Either way, I think start with one group.
My desires to plan and have things work out perfect have been subject to forces outside my control...but that's just my experience.

We need to know the source water parameters first, being the GH (general hardness) and pH primarily. Subject to the numbers, the fish mentioned in post #1 could work but I would not include otos yet, as others have explained.

Most reactions

Back