2 Sick Chocolate Gouramis!

ceecrb1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok. so, new tank just finnished its cycle on thursday morning, so thursday night I introduced 3 corys and 2 chocolate gouramis

One is extremely ill but I can see no visible symptoms.. only indicators that its unhappy.

It hides all the time or is in a location with no water current... it seems to spend half its time at the surface in a corner with no water current or on the gravel "resting" with all its fins well tucked in!!

The amonia and nitrites have risen a TINY bit after introducing the fish (as you'd expect) but nothing i'd call a "spike" nothing that isnt normal....
The ph is set to 7 with a buffer.. the water is quite hard.. but i've been lowering this and ph by doing water changes from the local tap water and replacing with RO and DI water from the LFS.

Out of desperations i've added some Pimafix incase it has some internal bacterial infection going on... its not improving at all...

The 2nd is now starting to look a little unhappy and i'm very sure the first will die.. its REALLY ill.. But I think the first is still saveable, If i could work out what was going on!

There are SLIGHT red markings on the end of their tail fins, but as these are my first chocolate gouramis i'm not sure if thats a bad sign or normal marking..
This photo is of the 2nd fish.. the "healthier" one. Note its starting to droop its tail a little...

the corys are doing GREAT!

sickfish.jpg

There no need to lower the ph. What the ph after using the ro water.

Red fins can be due to bad water quality, septicemia.

How many gallons is the tank?
How did you cycle the tank?
What test kit are you using?

is there plenty of aeration in the tank.
Immediate water change and increase aeration.

Get you a link to septicemia.

Septicemia

Symptoms:

Fish may have reddening at fin bases, blood streaks throughout the fins and body, small hemorrhages around the eyes. Dull listless behavior and lack of appetite may also be present.

Cause:

Systemic bacterial infection caused by various bacteria, including Aeromonas, Pseudomonas and Vibrio. The illness is often brought on by poor water quality or as a result of parasitic infestations or other infections. These bacteria enter the blood stream and circulate through the tissues causing inflammation and damage. Inflamed blood vessels in the skin and at fin bases stand out. Blood vessel and heart tissue damage cause hemorrhaging and consequently leakage of body fluids into the abdomen, which may lead to Dropsy.

Treatment:

Water conditions must be improved for all fish in the tank, regardless of how many fish are infected. Check your water’s Treat with Kanacyn or Tetracycline as well as with a medicated food if the fish will eat. If parasites are suspected, all the fish in the tank should be treated with antiparasitic medication. Using salt to help restore osmotic balance might be helpful.

Test kit is one from aquarium pharmaceuticals...

Ro water i'm not sure on.. none left to check..

Tanks 64 ltrs with a fluval 104 external filter..

To cycle I just set up.... added cycle... and fish food to give some "polutant" ...
It cycled relatively quickly in 2.5 weeks with very clear amonia spike then nitrite spike.

To do a water change i'd have to do it now with tap water which is extremely heavy (gh around 28) and has a calcium remover adding salt into the mix... How much should I change? 25%? 50%?

That was a quick cycle. Are you sure the tank has cycled.

Nutrafin cycle not very good and a complete waste of money in my opinion.

Can you post fresh water stats please.

Don't add salt with corys they don't tolerate it to well.
I would do a 30% water change.

Sorry I wasnt clear enough....

The calcium removing machine in our building.. doesnt... It just adds Salt to counter-act the calcium sticking to heating elements, shower/tap outlets etc...

I am very sure the tank has cycled... the spikes were very clear and now both amonia and no2 are just showing trace levels.
The tank and filter are "used" but the last time I had it all set up was 3 years ago back in scotland (now in spain).

Cycle,possible pointless.. possibly helps... I had it so used it... that simple.

tank water showing...
less than 0.5ppm amonia.
trace no2
ph 7.2
gh 139ppm
kh 179 ppm

Tap water
PH 7.6
kh 214.8ppm 12dGH
GH 125.3ppm 7dGH
amonia 0
NO2 0ppm

Ok.
Water change then.
Keep an eye on the gourami as it might have a bacterial infection.

cools...

already on it.

Continue with the pimafix?

Whats your location?

Just follow the pimafix instructions.

If it septicemia its blood poisoning. Hard to cure once it progresses.
For septicemia you really need antibiotics in issolation.
But the red fins just could be due to bad water quality.

Pimafix is no good if its septicemia.

well if it is.. they cant survive.. were in the middle of the most major bank holiday weekend and I cant get to any shops till tuesday night!

Daily water changes till then I guess??

Many thanks for all your help wilder!

Chocolate Gouramis are some of the hardest, most sensitive fish to keep and often fall sick and die even in well established tanks.

Google Chocolate Gouramis and you'll soon see what I mean.

Chocolate Gouramis are some of the hardest, most sensitive fish to keep and often fall sick and die even in well established tanks.

Google Chocolate Gouramis and you'll soon see what I mean.

Ie not great for a tank right out of its cycle in an area with pretty much unusable water..........
Starting not to trust this LFS.

Never ever trust what any LFS tells you without first doing a thorough Google search and or posting here first.

A lot of LFS's are only interested in sales and profits and don't actually know what they are talking about.

Never ever trust what any LFS tells you without first doing a thorough Google search and or posting here first.

A lot of LFS's are only interested in sales and profits and don't actually know what they are talking about.

Yeah I was too relaxed after living with an edinburgh based shop very famous for EXCELENT advice... forgot what its like out in the "real world" agian ahhaa

Most reactions

Back